Howard Gem G206, the oldest one left?

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Howard Gem G206, the oldest one left?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Keymaster

Looking good. JB Weld very useful stuff.

vhgmcbuddy

I looked on quite a few forums and it was the one plastic metal that was allways recommended. Now that it’s been rubbed down and painted it almost invisible.

vhgmcbuddy

Very good restoration. JB Weld is lovely stuff & I have used it many times

vhgmcbuddy

I trial fitted the rotor chain backing plate to make sure everything still lined up. Then set about changing the bearings. The bottom one took over 2 hours to extract with a lot of banging and swearing! Even our 75 tonne press wouldn’t touch it, however it was a common metric one so pleasantly cost only a few pounds.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

After painting the oil filter housing and rotor shaft clutch plate,the handles and tank were dry enough to refit.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Several years ago I purchased a new set of rotor covers off standen engineering. The price was quite eye watering, however because the covers on this machine were definatley past it, I decided to use them on it. They needed a lot of modifying to match the older type with metal being let in, seems welded up etc then smoothed off with filler.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

I then recieved a very nice package in the post off Titch from Machinery Decals. They really lift the appearance of the gem.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Several years ago I managed to buy a batch of N.O.S oil filters for gems so one was duly fitted.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

One of the items missing from this gem was the chain cover, early ones were plain with no adjuster cut out. They are like hens teeth, however I luckily had one in my store but it was quite battered and corroded. It took about a weeks worth of work to straighten.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

The starting handle rotating sleeve was sized as usual so this was got very hot. After prepping a few items I then sprayed most the loose parts. I also gave the rotor covers a rub down and another blow over as I wasn’t happy with the finish I’d got before.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

After the paint had set for a few days I started to build the old girl back up. After connecting up the handles and gear rods I’m pleased to report that all gears seem to select properly. I also highlighted some black bits and fitted the closest match I could find to the original grips.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

It took about 3 hours to get the rear rotor covers to line up. Some of this was caused by poor manufacturing process which is a little disappointing considering how much they cost and some of it was caused by trying to fit them to a machine they weren’t designed to fit. I also fitted a new decal and a new brass plate that I’d had made.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Looking very smart.

will-haggle
    Participant

Trewartha, Gregory and Doidge are still in business, in Callington, I would get in touch and see if they’ve got and old dealer plate which you can copy. They don’t seem to have e-mail.
    http://www.scoot.co.uk/England/Cornwall/Callington/Trewartha-Gregory-%26amp%3B-Doidge-Ltd-CGVR022.html

vhgmcbuddy

I’ve got some business in the area in a couple of months time, so was going to call by.I find that you often get a better response in person, I’m hopping that they may have some records as to who they sold it to?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.