howard bantam flywheel issue

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines howard bantam flywheel issue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    adie1982
    Participant

ive got a bantam with a ac120 engine fitted and i need to take the flywheel off as there is no spark. any ideas i tried with two screw drivers against the back plate and impact gun for vibration but no luck

• This topic was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by adie1982.
    Attachments:
    will-haggle
    Participant

I have a book for the F15 engine and it mentions a Flywheel extractor, it seems it doesn’t self-extract like the older Villiers engines.

charlie
    Keymaster

You can find a copy of the engine manual here I had a quick look and it does not say how to remove flywheel, but the exploded diagram in the parts list may help. The nut holding flywheel on could be a left hand thread.

john-e-w
    Participant

Part No 168 looks like a Woodruf key – lucky you as it should mean that the timing is pre-set. I would guess that it would require two bolts screwed through the flywheel to push the flywheel off the shaft. From experience it is absolutely no point in trying to prize the flywheel off from the edges as that will either break the flywheel or distort the diameter of the centre hole and make it bind to the shaft even more. Alternatively you might need to fix a plate between the two threaded holes and use a centre bolt pushing against the shaft to draw the flywheel off. Best of luck – keep us posted when the issue is resolved.

Regards
    John E-W

adie1982
    Participant

I gave it a good go this afternoon with a puller and it just wont budge also seen a crack running through the alui casting so going to have to look for a new engine which is gutting

davidbliss
    Participant

That flywheel is die cast, can all ready see one fan blade broken off, mostly the wico flywheel has cast in a centre steel insert, and shafts are normally parallel, mostly there are three threaded holes near the centre for draw bolts and if so just be careful not to screw any set screws through to far to catch the coil, if the alloy crankcase is cracked just weld it if its the flywheel its shot as its monkey metal and a definitely do not put puller legs on the outer rim as can break like glass with age.

ct33731
    Participant

If you need to get another flywheel Chester Hudson in East Sussex has some, but the AC engine was fitted with two different types of flywheel, when I spoke to him 2 or 3 years ago he had both types and several of them, as I needed one myself. If ever you need a head gasket for the AC engine I have 2 new ones here. Regards Chris.

ct33731
    Participant

If you need to get another flywheel Chester Hudson in East Sussex has some, but the AC engine was fitted with two different types of flywheel, when I spoke to him 2 or 3 years ago he had both types and several of them, as I needed one myself. If ever you need a head gasket for the AC engine I have 2 new ones here. If you have not got the flywheel off the best way that i have used many times is to get a small piece of 10mm plate say 3or 4 inches square, Drill 1/2″ hole in the centre and weld a nut over the hole then drill 2, 5/16″ holes either side of it to match the threaded holes in the centre of the flywheel, If I remember correctly the flywheel is threaded 1/4″ unc so you can then attach the plate to the flywheel with 2, 1/4″ unc bolts but be careful to not screw them in to far for fear of damaging the coil, then screw a bolt in the centre nut that you welded on and tighten firmly, give the flywheel centre a soaking in WD40 or similar, then wait a few minutes then give the bolt head a sharp tap this should release the flywheel from the taper and key, but before doing this do not forget to slacken off the flywheel retaining nut a coupe of turns, if the flywheel is not released at the first try tighten the nut a little more and you should get the flywheel released.Regards Chris.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.