Howard Bantam

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    garryl
    Participant

Hi All
    I am extending my garden and managed to get my hands on this Howard Bantam Rotavator.

Its does need a bit of TLC but it is running and did what it should when I had a test run the other night. The Villiers engine is running ok for not being started for a couple of years.

I am interested how I might go about determining the age of Bantam based of the machine number

If any one has any tips or advice about using / maintaining these feel free to chip in.

Attachments:
    bill-c
    Participant

I’ve got a Yeoman and it’s hard to find the build dates for Howards. The only thing I know about the Bantam is they were first built late 40’s/early 50’s and finished production in 1961. The later models had the Villers mk15 engine so your’s should be late 50’s early 60’s. If you need any parts oils etc the green spark plug co is a good place to look.

garryl
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I will have a look at stock they have.
    I am not looking at tinkering with anything at the moment as it’s running and I need to use it.

hortiman
    Participant

If you post the serial No on here I may be able to date the machine.

garryl
    Participant

Hi Hortiman
    That would be amazing.
    The serial number/ machine number on the cover is 38300 and the serial number of the engine is 460a 7120.
    If these are the wrong number please let me know and point me to where the correct ones are.

hortiman
    Participant

Bantam 38300 appears to be a 1956 made machine.

garryl
    Participant

Hi Hortiman
    Thanks for that. Amazing to think it so old and running so well.
    I used it for the first time today and it did a cranking job.
    It took a bit to get used to it and I’m now knackered. 😀
    At it again tomorrow.

garryl
    Participant

Well after a good run for a few weeks the worm gearbox appears to have failed.
    The tillers turn away happily until there is any resistance and then all you can hear is grinding 😞.
    All oil levels were checked before use and ok. I had a quick look but without a full strip down I am guessing the worm gear is worn beyond meshing point.
    Doe anyone know if this is a common issue ? If so what is the usual cause.
    I am Now going to try and source a replacement unit.

wristpin
    Participant

Probably due to age and possibly a lack of maintenance at some time in its life. Worm gear drives have a fairly hard life and are often neglected and subject to the wrong specification of lubricant.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.