How to adjust the valve of a Drayton engine type 34 ?

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines How to adjust the valve of a Drayton engine type 34 ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello my name is Michael and I live in France.

I have a RANSOMES MG6 with a Drayton engine type 34 (ignition with a cotton wick).
    In France nobody succeeded in resolving my problem, I hope I will have more chance with English experts.
    Last year my crawler started very well till I decided to check all the differents fonctions of the MG6

• Setting of the injector by a diesel mechanic.
    • Rehabilitation of two brakes.
    • Replacement of gazoil supply line.
    • Replacement of the gazoil return pipe to the tank.
    • Filling the tank with white gazoil.
    • Taring the air intake valve.
    • Replacement head gasket (purchase at Neil JARRETT), assembly with aviation paste and tightening the 4 nuts at 41N.m.

After bleeding air, I made my first starting tests. I completely close the air. I put the gazoil arrival in mid position (via cable). I pull the priming lever.
    Result: After several ignition with cotton wick I created for 10 seconds, a series of explosions. (with a beautiful white smoke). So I conclude that there is a good air tightness at the cylinder head gasket.
    Yesterday I decided to adjust the single valve with a hold of 0,15mm. For that, I introduced a wood stem into the hole (this one for the cotton wick) in order to identify the high died point TDC, then I have to regulate a 0,15 mm play on the level of the closed valve.

Result: After I inserted a new cotton wick I do not succeed any more to turn the crank (there is like a blocking, a hard point).

Could you advise me ? Did I well identify the TDC ?
    Is my starting procedure is correct?
    How to carry out the good adjustment of the valve?

Thank you by advance for your comments and ideas.

ransomes256
    Participant

Michael,
    I am not an expert on this engine but believe your method is correct. I am not sure what length the piece of wood you used was but I presume this was free to rise to the TDC position. It would not be easy to assess TDC if it was not free to rise.
    Is the engine still locked if the wick holder is removed (certain that there is no compression)
    If it is you must have disturbed something else in the engine. Are you sure the decompressor from the crank handle is working? Is it lifting the push rod when the crank handle is pushed in?
    Have you placed the push rod out of position when adjusting the valve?
    Neil

dave
    Participant

Hi Michael, I am sorry that I cannot help you with your valve setting.
    Could you please send me the machine no and engine no details for the
    Ransomes register also your contact details. Many thanks. Dave.

vhgmcbuddy

Dear all,

Thanks to this forum and Neil JARRETT, I succeeded to start my crawler Ransomes MG6. Here is what I have done before setting the valve at 0,15 mm : I removed the wick holder and I placed the push rod out of position when adjusting the valve.

It is marvellous , I am very very happy.

Here is the the machine no MK6 13699
    and the Drayton engine no (ALPRO M34362636 34R /24/E )
    and my email is delval_michael@yahoo.fr (for private contact)

I have now two simple questions :
    Where is the oil filter on the Drayton Engine ?
    What type of oil (available in France) should I use for the gear box, the engine, the air filter ?
    What type of grease should I use ?

MIKE26 (a french who likes reliable and nice mechanic)

ransomes256
    Participant

Michael,
    Glad I have been of help and the engine runs.
    The engine oil filter is located under the belt tensioner bracket and is held by the 4 nuts.
    Engine oil should be a straight 30 but not sure what will be available in France.
    Gearbox oil should be a straight 50 oil but an engine oil of 20/50 is OK.
    The tractor does not use any grease. All load rollers, wheels and hubs use an EP140 oil.
    I think the engine belt tensioner does have grease (a water proof grease would be best)
    Regards
    Neil

dave
    Participant

Michael,
    I will add your machine to the Ransomes register when I next update.
    Your machine was made in1950.
    Regards Dave Clark.

dave
    Participant

Sorry I hit the wrong button the year of manufacture should read 1959.
    My mistake.
    Dave Clark.

vhgmcbuddy

Dear Neil,

For the engine I have find Motul oil SAE30 (mineral and monograde).
    For the gearbox can I use oil 20W50 (multigrade) or Motul oil SAE50 (mineral and monograde) is more recommended ?

Could you send me the completed references of the 3 differents oil you use (I not an OIL expert)

Regards
    Michaël

ransomes256
    Participant

Michael,
    I am not an oil expert either.
    If you search this forum there is a thread about oils for the Diesel engine.
    They seem to suggest an SAE 20 is the best.
    The gearbox would be best with the SAE 50 but if expensive will be OK with a multi grade 20/50.
    The side drives, drive hubs, weight carrying rollers, and idler hubs all use SAE 140 gear oil.
    Neil

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.