Hayter harrier 51

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    enginear
    Participant

This may be considered to be too new, but it’s for an old friend, i have taken off rear fluted split roller which has a jap or chinese cycle wheel double hub with two sprockets which acts as a differential as it was very dirty i decided to dismantle it thinking it would have some reasonable size ball bearings but they are about 3mm a dot of which fell out, the problem i have is it appears to be short of a lot of these balls i could have lost a few but not that amount as many as 10 each side of one sprocket, this unit is sold only complete so has anyone ever taken one apart and do they know how many balls should go either side of a sprocket, i cannot undo the next one to check at the moment i have 98 each side, i can purchase small amounts so am hoping someone like wristpin may know, also the black paint on the B/S engine is it a high temp or ordinary, looking at the alloy it seems they may not have used etch primer first.

wristpin
    Participant

Harrier 51 ?? Are you sure? Would have thought 48 or 56 – maybe. Can you find the machine ID number that pins it down to the exact model. Usually three digits and an alpha on a rectangular sticker on the opposite side of the body to the height adjuster. However those split corrugated rollers use the same ratchets for the 48 and 56. It’s usual to replace the ratchets as an assembly, not repair them. They can be time consuming to get apart and most commercial repairers resort to oxy acetylene or a thin cutting disc on an angle grinder. Hayter used to offer the two ratchets and the concertina dirt shield assembled on a shaft as one part number. In fact they offered complete roller assemblies as it was not unusual for the teeth on the rollers that engage the ratchets, to be worn away, and the whole assembly being floppy in the centre, even with new ratchets

Labels just for examples

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by wristpin.
    enginear
    Participant

My mistake it’s a 56, as for the roller ratchet i know this is available as complete unit but as this is a free job for an old boy who has cancer and i only took it apart because of dirt i would still like to know how many balls were fitted it was easy enough to remove one side and after a gentle try gave up on other side and just washer it clean, i can’t beleive i have lost upwards of 20 balls so if i can’t find out i will put some in either side and see if it’s ok, what about the B/s black paint.

enginear
    Participant

I think i must be having a bad day Hayter not a 51 or 56 but a 48 am in touch with Toro’s at moment but as everyone states they don’t dismantle the ratchet assembly.

wristpin
    Participant

I must have swept up a good few balls over the years but have never considered trying to save them so I can’t be much help there I’m afraid. Having been “in the trade” the total cost of a repair was a balance between the cost of a guaranteed to work new component, and the workshop charge out rate. In the case of the ratchet assemblies it was no contest. I appreciate that you are working “pro bono” for a friend but we had a saying that “no one thanks you for a cheap fix” – if it works the saving is forgotten, if it fails, the attempted saving is forgotten also!
    Paint. Briggs do/did list aerosols of their various standard engine colours but I can’t remember anyone ever ordering one. For a tidy up of black engine components I’d suggest an aerosol can of Barbecue paint available from most diy stores.

enginear
    Participant

Just to update Toro did get back to me with the expected answer no idea but sprockets available from dealers!, never mind i have been offered a free assembly from a friend who owns a mower business but this will go back as was, thanks.

wristpin
    Participant

Toro did get back to me with the expected answer no idea

Sign of the times, I’m afraid . Most manufacturers seem to rely on dealers and distributors to field and answer technical queries. The last time I needed some tech info from Hayter, I ended up talking to a very polite young man in Belgium with little product knowledge. A far cry from when Hayter had a roving tech in a high top van who called on dealers and conducted a mini service school on such matters as setting up a 21 or Osprey final drive and clutch.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.