Farmer Boy Minor

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Farmer Boy Minor

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    darmic1
    Participant

Rear chain drive case had some attention next….

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

And then some more re-assembly.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

This machine was missing one blade when I collected it. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a replacement, so, I found some old, worn blades from a modern machine, got the welder out and stitched 2 together. I then scribed around a good blade and cut the rough shape using the disc cutter, finishing the shape with the power file.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

The depth stop was also missing, so using some photographs I fabricated a new one.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Depth stop painted and refitted.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Some daylight pictures…… Just needs some finishing touches, handlebar grips, decals and sae140 EP free gearbox oil!

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

A short video it running and driving…..
    https://youtu.be/HBl6OJdt_-8of

charlie
    Keymaster

Well done a good job.

darmic1
    Participant

Thanks Charlie! This will be displayed this year at a few shows hopefully with an unrestored version.

darmic1
    Participant

It’s taken me a while to get around to making the new cables for the Farmers Boy. The plan was to use the old cables as templates and fit them on the working model, put the new shiny ones on the restored version. The governor throttle cable was missing the springs, brackets and adjuster and so felt it easier to source a new one from George at ‘Villiersparts’, along with a new throttle lever. The other two control cables were fairly simple and decided to have a go at making these. I ordered the bits up from ‘feked.com’, made a ‘crucible’ for melting lead from an old wheel brace. I used some 60/40 plumbers lead to tin the ends of the cables and nipples. this was the 1st time I had ever had a go at making cables and was pleased with the results. Here’s the restored one with its new cables and a correct length belt fitted.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

‘Titch’ at ‘machinerydecals’ has also worked his magic again. He has expertly reproduced the decals from photo’s I supplied, to give this machine its finishing touches. Here are the close ups…..

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

I mentioned earlier an ‘unrestored’ one too? During this restoration I had the opportunity to buy a 2nd machine, mainly a parts doner. It was actually too good to break completely, so the bits that were left got put aside, hoping that a 3rd machine would surface…… Well, one did! Thanks go to Jim Beacon for collecting and donating the remains of this 3rd machine. I was able to build a good machine from what I had left. Here is the MK12HS for the 2nd machine following its strip and overhaul. This engine was in pretty good condition to be fair. It has had some work in the past and is currently fitted with +40thou piston and rings. This engine only needed a new plug and a carb gasket, so a cheap fix!

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

I have spent the last week stripping and cleaning the good bits from the 2 machines and reassembling them into one. Here is the gearbox for the 2nd machine.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

Here is the almost reassembled machine after a long day in the garage cleaning loose rust, mud and oil from each and every part.

Attachments:
    darmic1
    Participant

And a daylight picture of the ‘oily rag’ machine with its restored brother, a before and after if you like? Found it really hard not to strip the 2nd machine of all the rust and flaking paint, not to re-spray it and make it as good as new! I want to use this one and hopefully demonstrate it working at shows etc. I also had them both running together, it always pleases me when after a long while just sitting, these machines start 1st pull of the rope!

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.