Exhaust (silencer, muffler) bolts, Kohler cast iron cylinder.

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Exhaust (silencer, muffler) bolts, Kohler cast iron cylinder.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rjy
    Participant

Had a bit of a battle extracting exhaust bolts (Kohler K141T), seized rock solid, drilled out (etc), cast iron barrel threads 5/16 UNC “not too bad considering”, should I use ordinary steel bolts, BZP, stainless, or what?

Standard seem to be 8.8 steel, not BZP, partly threaded.

I have some old-fashioned Rocol anti-seize compound J166 to put on the threads when reinstalled. Seized bolts must not happen again!

Edit: Additional info: Howard 350 rotavator.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by rjy.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by rjy.
    charlie
    Keymaster

I am not familiar with Kohler engines but should they be bolts or studs?
    Looking at a copy of the manual it shows studs. If this is correct I would replace the bolts with studs and nuts

rjy
    Participant

Thank you for the pointer. I have two of these machines, one that I can remember being bought new, in the mid-’70s, one of which I was given, used, probably from North Cornwall!.

The former has bolts, which I managed to get out… eventually. The latter has studs.

Ho hum. I have purchased a bag of 10 5/16 x 1 3/4 BZP “grade 5” (8.8 equiv) bolts for £3.18 from a local supplier of fastners, so they will go in this one, with some anti-seize; I will withdraw them after a while and check to see what’s happened.

I bet the other rotavator’s studs are stuck fast too.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.