Engine Identification

Home Forums General Help and information Engine Identification

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ransomes256
    Participant

Can anybody help identify this engine please.
    Neil

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

Hi, Neil,
    That looks very similar to a JAP 5 but it has subtle differences to the ones I’ve owned and worked on.
    Could we have a few more pictures from different sides, and particularly the top of the crankcase where the barrel meets it on the non-flywheel side?
    Thanks very much; I’m sure we’ll nail it!

ransomes256
    Participant

I only have these extra photos. The engine is fitted to a Ransomes MG5 tractor in the Netherlands but is not original.
    I am interested as it appears a good fit.
    Neil

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Neil , do you know what rate of threads are used on it , it doesn’t look JAP to me.

Andy.

trusty220
    Keymaster

The cowling looks like Wisconsin to me. The Wisconsin AEH that I have is very similar to a JAP 5 but has minor differences- was one a copy of the other, I wonder?

My Wisconsin has a removable, circular cover over the flywheel so that you can take off the flywheel without removing the cowlings. Your picture seems to have the same circular panel secured by three screws and the cowling is much squarer than the JAP, so I’d put my money on Wisconsin. I’ll see if I can dig out a photo of mine for comparison.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by trusty220.
    Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

I make you right Geoff , the fuel tank also suggests Wisconsin , looks the same as the twin cylinder tank on the early american balers.

Andy.

ransomes256
    Participant

Thank you for the suggestions.
    I will message the owner and see if I can find out some more info.
    Neil

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.