drive pinion on a Ransomes Marquis

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines drive pinion on a Ransomes Marquis

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    hillsider
    Participant

Also checkout the unused keyway on the crankshaft if it is of the same dimension you could try the fit of that one after cleaning up where the grub screw has bruised the edge of the keyway.
    This may also reposition where the grub screws fall onto the shaft perhaps missing the open keyway, also you still have the option of using Loctite to supplement the fit of the key and securing screws. The use of Loctite will give the result that you are seeking and I am sure it can be heated to allow dismantling if required in the future.
    There is also medium strength version of this product but my instinct would be to use the high strength version to cope with the loading.

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Engineers+Adhesives-Loctite/c4460_4594/p340252/Loctite+603+High+Strength+Retaining+Compound+10ml/product_info.html

vhgmcbuddy

I first tried to replace the key.
    As I live in Belgium they have no stock of imperial keys only metric, so
    I bought a 5 x 5mm oversized and filed until it fitted on the crankshaft.
    Stange,it did not fit on the flywheel, so I filed half of the key to fit the flywheel.
    Strange that it is not a square size.
    The key fits now in both, but is asymmetric.

The engine doesn’t make a knocking noise anymore on a first test.
    As it rains today I hope to cut the grass tomorrow, let’s hope it stays ok.
    I will let you know in a few days if everything is working.
    Thank you very much for your help.

Attachments:
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.