Dating an MG crawler

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Dating an MG crawler

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    expeatfarmer
    Participant

No engine number and no sign of there ever having been one.

vhgmcbuddy

I have a plate on the oil filler with what I would think was an engine number although it is a ransomes number not an engine manufacturers number. Borrowed a friends flexible camera thing yesterday to look inside the box still can’t see a number so I’m going to have to pull the lid of.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

The very early T engines were manufactured by Sturmey Archer , the later TB was a redesigned version made in house by Ransomes. Some photographs would be good.

vhgmcbuddy

Hello everyone sorry to intrupt i have been having a play with my mg5 after winter and have found the serial nu of 3512 wonder if anyone could give me some in on it?

dave
    Participant

Your MG5 dates from 1948. Any chance of an engine no?
    Dave.

vhgmcbuddy

Il will have a look where abouts will it be? There is a number on the o/s of engine block. 1964. But will have another look if you can point me in the rigth place. Is there anyway of finding any history on it?

vhgmcbuddy

Been a long time getting back to this thread but in reply to dating my crawler , I have removed the top of the gearbox and no number. So back to square one !

expeatfarmer
    Participant

If you look around the outer edges of the crown wheels there are a series of numbers one of which will be the date of manufacture.

vhgmcbuddy

Expeatfarmer I have found a date on the crown wheel , it’s marked 36 but I need to look closer. Do you now if it gives a precise date , do you have your number as a reference.

vhgmcbuddy

A little tip I was told many years ago by a retired Ransomes factory manager is pre-war MG’s have a brass ID plate but during / after WW2 they will be steel. This was because Ransomes were not permitted to use brass as it was required for ammunition manufacture.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Which model of crawler are you trying to date? On my MG2 number 137 the diff stampings show the date in DD/MM/yy format.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.