Dating an MG crawler

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Dating an MG crawler

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I have an early MG 2 crawler with no manufacturers plate ,but it has an engine number. If the engine numbers run with the chassis number this would place my crawler at number 119 the older than anything on the register here ! Can somebody confirm this please.

ransomes256
    Participant

The engine numbers are not directly linked to the build date of the tractor.
    Is this a type T engine (chain driven fan and a folded sheet metal cover) or a type TB engine (belt driven fan and curved casing)?
    You normally find a date code on the edges of the crown wheels. eg 7/37 equates to July 1937
    Unless the chassis has an imprint from the serial number stamp under where the original plate was fitted as they were stamped in situ.
    Neil

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you Neil for the swift reply , I’m sure mine is an early t engine it has the folded bonnet but the fan is belt driven. The only chain on the rear of the engine is from the starting handle shaft. Also differing from a later 2 is the brake handles don’t have round knobs. Unfortunately where the makes plate was is too rusty to see anything and at the moment I can’t move it to see any marks on the crown wheel.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Do you have any photos you can post?

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Do you have any photos you can post?The Rural Life museum at East Kilbride also has an early MG2.

From the description this sounds like a T engine, but not sure how you arrive at a chassis number from an engine number?

expeatfarmer
    Participant

As an afterthought if it is a very early machine the chassis number will stamped into the left hand engine cradle support as you look at the front. It will also be on the underside of the gearbox cover.

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you for the guide for the chassis number, someone else also said it was stamped in the engine bay. I shall go armed with wire brush and torch and see what I can find.

vhgmcbuddy

This crawler doesn’t want to give anything away yet , expeatfarmer can you give me a more accurate position of the serial number in the engine bay. The left hand ( looking from the front towards the rear) has a channel were the engine bolts to. Is the number on the flat looking up or on the side looking inwards to the engine , or am I in the wrong place altogether.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Up face of the channel supporting engine on left as you look at the front.

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you for your help ecpeatfarmer but however stamped the chassis couldn’t have had their weetabix that morning. There isn’t any deep rust but the number is gone , you can make out where it was but not enough to read. Where is it on the gearbox ? If that doesn’t work do you now of any lists of engine numbers to chassis. I mentioned before about the engine because it is before the one that is on the register on this site so I’m thinking mine is an early crawler.

vhgmcbuddy

When I’ve struggled to read a serial number in metal I’ve bare metalled the area then sprayed over it in a contrasting colour I.e black. When dry I’ve then carefully sanded the area with a flat sanding block and normally the number will appear.

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you s1g will go and try that

vhgmcbuddy

Unfortunately s1g it’s beyond that , you can make out a 1 but after that it’s gone. Thanks again for the suggestion.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Hi
    The number may be stamped into the underside of the alloy gearbox cover, it means removing the gear lever, brakes and all the outer rods but worth it to find out. I own 137 which is believed to be the oldest known MG2 survivor ,there is no number on the engine.

vhgmcbuddy

Looks like the top of the gearbox is coming of then. Expeatfarmer what’s your engine number out of interest

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.