Coil Testing

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Coil Testing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sidevalve44
    Participant

Can any one advise if it is possible to test the ignition coil from a B&S engine using a hand held multimeter?

If not, is there a way to test it that does not involve expensive testing gear or a trip to an auto electric workshop?

vhgmcbuddy

Yes a multimeter can test one. Set the resistance in ohms to 10,000 and then put one lead on agood clean earth on the coil. Put the other lead on coil pick up and the reading if okay should be between 5,000 or more.

sidevalve44
    Participant

Thanks for that. I take it by Coil pick-up you mean the LT lead from the points.

charlie
    Keymaster

Coil has two windings HT and LT one side of each is connected to earth, the other side of LT goes to points and the HT goes to plug lead. Hope that helps.

vhgmcbuddy

Dont know if this link works but it should connect you to a thread in the old site.
    http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7405

sidevalve44
    Participant

Thanks for the info guys. I think I may well go down the easy route and buy a new breaker-less ign coil, it as, after all over 50 years old !

Glad to see all that SPAM has been removed.

hillsider
    Participant

If you suspect that the ignition coil is causing problems then going to the breaker less ignition is the way to go I recently converted the B&S engine on a Mountfield garden tiller and it transformed its starting reliability. Be aware though that here is more than one coil to choose from so be careful to order the one to suit your Model,Type and Code numbers.

sidevalve44
    Participant

Thanks for the info. Yes, I fitted one of those magnetron kits to a 1976 3Hp on a Wizard Rotavator. Starts easily and no worries about points wearing out.
    Have been in touch with Graham at Briggsbits who has advised which one to go for.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.