Barford Councillor Power Scythe

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Barford Councillor Power Scythe

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Keymaster

Topic of conversation on a facebook group asking what the differences are between the Barford Councillor and the Barford Power Scythe.
    Also why was the name changed?
    When did the name change?
    Literature I have shows them as two differently named machines, yet another document I have seen refers to the Barford Councillor Power Scythe.
    Did the Councillor have the word Councillor cast into the wheels, the parts list and one sales leaflet suggest they did.
    Does anyone have an example?

Attachments:
    philip-s
    Participant

For what it’s worth, my Barford Scythe has BARFORD GRANTHAM cast into the wheels. I didn’t know it was a ‘Councillor’ until I joined this site a few years ago.
    Is it possible that when Barfords produced a scythe attachment for the Atom they needed to differentiate it from the larger Power Scythe which they then named the Councillor as local councils were important customers for grass verge cutting machines.
    Do you have any dates on the Barford Scythe literature Charlie?

charlie
    Keymaster

The Barford literature does not have dates apart from the price lists. The Barford Power Scythe leaflet has rev 12.58 on it and the printers ref is EJJJ 10970.2.60 CP which could be Feb 1960.
    The serial numbers on the two Power Scythes are :-
    403-C5 with engine number 998A 28025
    926-C9 with engine number 998A 44857

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.