Wico "A" series Magneto

Home Forums General Help and information Wico "A" series Magneto

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

In looking at the data sheets for the Wico magneto, I was amazed to see that there were about 100 versions of the “A” series magneto, according to wico the magneto for the Howard Gem is the 955 and thinking about fitting the magneto to the “Gem” it made me wonder why they needed to make so many variations, as you can set the timing on a gem by slacking off the magneto drive on the camshaft to any position “Before Top Dead Centre” so the impulse will fire at any stage you want, I dont have a 955 magneto, so am fitting another model of the “A” series, does it matter? or am Imissing something obvious? PLONKER

ransomes256
    Participant

I am not familiar with the 955 but the many versions of the Wico A are clear.
    Clockwise or anticlockwise rotation.
    Foot or flange mounting (variations depending on engine manufacturer design)
    Drive dog / sprocket design again dependent on engine design.
    Advance mechanisms for various engine designs.
    Single cylinder / 2 cylinder / 4 cylinder uses.
    Start multiplying all these variations together and it is easy to see how the 100 plus derivatives can be achieved.
    In my opinion I consider the base magneto is a simple and flexible design and have rebuilt many with no real issues and try to keep a good selection of spares.
    Cleanliness is the biggest feature when rebuilding as oil / magnetic particles in the wrong place can cause many running issues which do not appear to be logical.
    Neil

trusty220
    Keymaster

I entirely agree with you, Neil. I have rebuilt a few of these in my time and they couldn’t be simpler, an ideal situation to be in with “our” machinery.

I have a complete directory of all Wico types and so if anyone needs to know specs., etc. then drop me a line with the spec. number.

vhgmcbuddy

Given that the Wico 955 was the original magneto for the Howard “Gem” and we know that they will work with other Wico mags. Can I ask other owners of “Gems” with the Howard B.J. engine if they can let me know what number of WIco mag they have fitted to their machine? I ask because I have a couple of other “Wico” mags, and I would like to know which ones members have used on their “Gems” Plonker

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.