Which oil?

Home Forums General Help and information Which oil?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Finally got my mk 1 Clifford Rotavator running today.
    Just need to work out which oil would be best to use in mixing with the petrol.
    Some have suggested Morris oil, but there are several different types; so which one of their oils would be best to use to mix with the petrol in the mk 25c villiers engine?

andyfrost
    Participant

STRAIGHT 30 grade , Morris oil is of the highest quality.

Andy.

wristpin
    Participant

“Straight” or mono grade SAE30 comes in two versions, detergent and non-detergent. The former mono grade 30 complies with the requirements for modern air cooled four strokes and used to be the recommended oil for Briggs etc although they now also allow multi-grade oils. The non detergent presently marketed for many classic cars is probably the equivalent of the SAE30 that was recommended for making up two-stoke mix .
    Morris and Millers both market detergent and non detergent SAE30 oils and Millers also market a specific non synthetic two-stoke mixing oil for older engines.

vhgmcbuddy

I contacted Morris and they are recommending their ‘Ground Force 2T’. Does that seem right?

wristpin
    Participant

AS far as I know, Morris 2T is a synthetic or semi synthetic oil for modern high revving high output two strokes. For vintage engines with plain bearings and rudimentary sealing I stick to a non detergent SAE30 or a mixing oil specifically formulated for older engines, such as Millers Classic CM2T.

charlie
    Keymaster

Castrol XL30 is still available.

andyfrost
    Participant

My apologies ,I should have said Straight non detergent, Angus is quite correct. Under no circumstances use any form of synthetic oil in you 25c.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Charlie.
    I have found the Castrol XL30, but in its description it says that it is for 4 stroke engines – Am I missing something here?

wristpin
    Participant

No, not missing anything , XL and XXL were all that was available back in the day when there were no specific mixing oils. XL was possibly one of the recommended oils for making up the mix then and will still be fine today. It won’t mix as easily or stay mixed as well as modern two stroke oils but has the ” body” to make the best of the bearings and sealing of an elderly engine – just mix it well and give it a good shake if it’s been standing. At the risk of repeating myself that’s why I like the Millers Classic two stroke oil – the best of the old and the new.
    When all is said and done, back in the day your machine was possibly fed a diet of what ever was around and has survived to tell the tale so just get the proportion right and enjoy.

will-haggle
    Participant

When I were young (1963) I worked in a Motorcycle shop which had petrol and oil sales. One customer came in on an Ariel Leader (250cc 2 stroke twin) with all the bits, in fact he dressed in a suit! He refused all attempts to serve him two stroke from the plunger, we had a special Castrol mixing funnel in to which you poured the Castrol XL oil and then the correct amount of petrol. He was the only one to use that funnel and his bike had a clean exhaust!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.