Website Calendar ?

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Website Calendar ?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    trusty220
    Keymaster

I feel that I ought to back Charlie up with this one. Yes, I agree with the idea that there should be an online calendar to publicise events so that we can co-ordinate our efforts, but what Charlie hasn’t pointed out is that somebody has to do the work (and it has normally been Charlie up to now).
    Surely there is somebody out there that is willing to take this on in their spare time, especially as the dark cold nights are here and you don’t want to go out to the shed. And don’t forget that we also need an editor for The Cultivator- we still have had nobody come forward to offer their services.
    This does remind me of the story of the Little Red Hen, when nobody would help her make a cake but everybody wanted to help her eat it. When a problem like this crops up we should all be asking ourselves what we could do to help, not trying to think of reasons why we can’t do something. It is, after all, OUR club.

vhgmcbuddy

i agree with you geoff it should not be left to charlie but am i not right in saying that the members of the club have payed a professional web designer to build this site and if you look on the home page it states that you can do certain things that you cant, now surely these things were in the remit given to the web designer? and if they were then its not down to charlie its down to them. also one of my boys who is also a web designer offerd his sevices free to help, but this offer was declined.

roatavator
    Participant

Ok, time for me to have a say…

1. I reckon that anyone who thinks £12 per annum is expensive for an informative magazine, standard insurance for showing our machines, and access to this Forum, has unrealistic expectations (seen the price of a packet of fags lately??) I can’t see why any potential new member would be discouraged from joining the club by the cost.

2. We must all remember that the committee and officers (none of whom I have met or know other than through this Forum) do not get paid – they are doing what they do for the love of the hobby, and a damn good job they do in my opinion. I would love to take the job of editor on, but at the moment working a 50/60 hour week and with other commitments, that’s not an option, but surely there must be a few retired members out there with time to give it a go?

3. We probably all have views on what the future of this hobby, the Forum and our club should be, and it should be possible for those views to be aired and discussed openly without acrimony. BUT, we should do so bearing in mind normal standards of behaviour and not let this Forum descend to the depths plumbed by some other websites I could name. AND again remembering those in charge do everything voluntarily, with a very limited subscription income, and no matter how much it may be desirable, it is not possible for all the desired features of the Forum to be immediately available.

4. Personally, I don’t despair for the future of the club whilst there are members who have strong views (which must surely come from a passion for the hobby and club). But, if change does take place, lets not forget all the hard work put in by the committee and officers thus far. I reckon we all have a lot to thank them for.

(Rant ends)

charlie
    Keymaster

Peter, thank you for the praise and thanks. I sometimes wonder if our club is in fact too cheap, at £1 a month!

roatavator
    Participant

Charlie, you’re more than welcome, I’ve said nothing that wasn’t richly deserved. As for subs, I think its clear from my previous post what I think. Obviously to survive and prosper the club needs sufficient income, but of course with the price of fuel and other necessities for enjoying our hobby, I suspect most of us are finding our personal budgets tight at the moment.

will-haggle
    Participant

Hear, Hear, Peter Roatavator…. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.