Vintage Dron-Wal garden sprinkler

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements Vintage Dron-Wal garden sprinkler

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    trebor2021
    Participant

I’m hoping someone can help with a question regarding a vintage Dron-Wal garden sprinkler. At low pressure it turns and sprays water in the expected manner. However, if the pressure is increased (and this pressure isn’t particularly high at all – the tap is simply opened to its full extent), it stops spinning, though the water still sprays.
    Any explanation/solution would be appreciated!

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

There must be some sort of bearing surface in the top of the upright support with a thrust bearing. The increased water pressure will be forcing the rotating part upwards, increasing the load on the thrust bearing and pushing it into hard contact with the underside of the top bearing and locking it up. With less water pressure the weight of the rotating part will act against the water pressure and push the bearings apart.

Can you take the bearings apart and grease the underside to prevent it locking up?

trebor2021
    Participant

Thanks for that!
    I’ll try and take it apart and see what’s there.
    Will report back if problem persists.

trebor2021
    Participant

I’ve now taken it apart (see photo) and I’m guessing that the washer will need to be replaced as it allows some small movement to occur (the head can now be moved in and out by a few millimetres). I don’t seen to be able to dismantle this top section anymore so am I correct in the thinking that to remove the old washer it has to be pulled over the brass head and a new one replaced in the same manner?
    PS Is there a place to purchase these washers as I guess they’ll be in imperial?

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

Don’t forget that these things had to be assembled at some point and so must come apart in some way. Have you tried unscrewing the brass collar so that you can pull the shaft out of the bearing? Is the black washer made of some sort of material that will seal, such as rubber or leather? In most cases the only solution is to make your own but when re-assembling make sure you coat the washer with some type of waterproof material that will lubricate the faces.

trebor2021
    Participant

You were right again!
    I carefully unscrewed the brass collar and managed to remove the two washers. The black one seems more like plastic than rubber and the other I’d guess to be a red fibre washer (see photo). Without wishing to trouble you further, do you know, therefore, the best way for me to make my own washers and get the source material?

Attachments:
    hdtrust
    Participant

Hi there just noticed this post, you should find that most internal parts are uniform on these old brass sprinklers, washers are easy to replace if you know where to look, you need to go to a hardware supplier and get an assortment of tap washers they come in many sizes.
    Even the famous Pluviette sprinklers that Lloyds made were all made up with British standard pipe fittings.
    It is always best to just coat the washers with a little Vaseline, but dont use KY jelly as its not water resistant, keep that for internal door hinges!

trebor2021
    Participant

Many thanks, hdtrust,
    There are a few hardware stores within a 25 mile radius.
    Whenever I’m in their vicinity, I’ll see what they’ve got.
    I appreciate your tip re the vaseline. These things matter!
    Best regards,
    R

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.