Villiers 25c 2 stroke Points problem Allen scythe

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Villiers 25c 2 stroke Points problem Allen scythe

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gaz
    Participant

i am loosing the will to live i have got myself all new points etc to get my Allen Scythe up and running
    i have put the new points back on the machine but when it comes to set the points gap the rear of the points don’t touch the the cam inside the flywheel
    the points are exactly the same as the ones that i took out, it did run before i changed them over to new items albeit only for about 30 seconds when i bought it. i cannot for the life of me see where i am going wrong unless everything has been mucked around with before i got the machine
    does anyone know if the flywheel cam has different profiles depending on age ?
    any help or advise where to go appreciated

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

As far as I know the cam profile did not change.
    A photo of the whole points set up, with flywheel removed, would help us see what might be wrong. (I know removing flywheel then retiming the engine is a pain). I have attached a file showing the layout of the points, which I am sure is the same on the Allen Scythe engine.
    Have you tried slackening off the points fixing screw and moving adjuster?

Attachments:
    gaz
    Participant

Thanks
    it seems or certainly feels like it my engine is made up of bits, i have managed to bodge a solution.
    i have removed the adjustment cam from the points which has allowed the bottom of the points to move further allowing the the other part of the points to come into contact with the cam on the flywheel ..
    looking at your attached diagram you can see that the older points set up is a different design ( i’ll call it smaller) which would allow it to move further in the points housing.
    strangely when i took the old points out it was half of the early type and half of the later type points.

charlie
    Keymaster

It would be interesting to see a photo of the set up you have on your machine.

arbe
    Participant

I am wondering if you ever sorted this problem out ?

gaz
    Participant

no i left it as i described above its seems to work so i figured don’t provoke the thing if its working 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.