Tvo residue in carbs

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Tvo residue in carbs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello everyone

I have lots of machines but only just got a tvo engine on a ransomes cawler. And it is cow to start after been running on tvo. Can start from cold on petrol and swap it over and runs sweet as a nut all day then if I stop it it is a hard to start. Yes I know your meant to swap back to petrol before stopping which I do but within a minute or so she just stops no matter how many revs you have on, so just wondering as paffain is a heavier oil fuel than petrol does it leave a film on the inside of the carb?

Many thanks

charlie
    Keymaster

I believe you are supposed to switch to petrol and let engine run until there is only petrol in carb, I assume you are doing this.

vhgmcbuddy

Yes I turn the tap back to petrol to fill the carb back and flush the lines but after a minute or so it cuts out and have to drain the carb and flush it by hand

andyfrost
    Participant

How long are you running it for on petrol after turning the TVO off.

Andy.

joegrgraham
    Participant

I once had a v8 landy that was a pig to start when hot. Turned out it was running a bit too hot and vapourised the petrol in the carb.
    Perhaps a similar thing is happening with your mg?.
    Are you making your own tvo? What ratio of petrol to kero? As the kero has a much higher Flashpoint have you tried a mix with more petrol? Whats happens if you give it a good long run on straight petrol?
    Joe

vhgmcbuddy

IT WILL ONLY RUN FOR A MAXIMUM OF 1 AND HALF MINUTES ONCE I HAVE TURN THE TAP BACK ON TO PETROL.

That could possibly be the case of it to hot but it still a pig to start when the manifold is Luke warm. I have to fill the carb three or four times with petrol and drain it out then it will start after some time.

I am making my own tvo using 28 second Kerro at the ratio of 3 gallons of Kerro to one gallon 95 petrol with a splash of redex in. Seems to run sweet as anything on the mix it’s just the changing back.

It runs on petrol but gets very hot and will not ideal or run slow enough to select gears hear some people just run on straight petrol, but I’d like to keep her on tvo.

Stew

joegrgraham
    Participant

Im not familiar with your particular engine, but i do have experience of tvo, and it does sound like you are experiencing one of the reasons tvo fell out of favour.
    They need to be working hard to run well on tvo, which means running hot, and it sounds like you are in the limbo period of too hot to run petrol and not hot enough to run tvo.
    Instead of switching to petrol, maybe try turning the tap off and letting it run out of fuel, then next time, just draw fresh petrol through before starting.
    Also may be worth checking the tap, i assume it’s a two way tap?, possibly its not shutting properly and allowing tvo to leak through?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.