Tractor & Machinery, February 2018

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Tractor & Machinery, February 2018

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wristpin
    Participant

Its good to see that T&M has devoted two pages to Darren Portsmouth’s Farmer’s Boy Project but a pity that the sub-editors have made the Villiers Mk12 into a two-stroke and repeatedly used Rotavator to describe the cultivator attachment – albeit using a lower case r !
    Perhaps we should just be grateful for the coverage but if inaccuracies are repeated often enough they tend to become fact.

vhgmcbuddy

Great write up but shame its only 2 pages

BRING BACK FHEC MAG. Why they stopped it I dont know

will-haggle
    Participant

Had to pay it’s way and advertising was lacking, I’m afraid…
    Merry Christmas Chris and Angus!

trusty220
    Keymaster

You are quite right, Angus. Things like that annoy me, too, and the big danger is that if inaccuracies appear in print in these magazines somebody in the future will take them as being totally correct and (surprise, surprise) there will be a two-stroke version of the Villiers Mk12 before you know it.

When I used to write my magazine articles for Tractor magazine the research used to take a lot longer than the article took to write.

charlie
    Keymaster

I hope someone writes and tells them of the mistake.

darmic1
    Participant

Hi guys, thanks for the positives……I too read that my article had been ‘altered’ I have the original piece, and I can assure you the words ‘2 stroke’ are not there……. I will advise Peter Love of his editorial ‘faux pas’ and hopefully he will add a correction in part 2 of my piece!

wristpin
    Participant

Good that T&M have corrected their Villiers faux pas but a shame that they stopped short of acknowledging their misuse of Howard’s former trade mark.

darmic1
    Participant

The trade mark I believe related to the spelling ‘rotavator’……. I’ve seen many a machine named as a ‘rotovator’……. as well as roto-hoe.
    The early Gem before it wad called a Gem was called a Rote-ho. So yet another play with words and spellings!

wristpin
    Participant

Yes, my comment related solely to the use of the palindrome Rotavator to describe any rotary cultivator or attachment other than one made by Howards. Pedantic, maybe but sloppy journalism from those who, by virtue of their position as a magazine editor, should know better.They have a responsibility to get things correct.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.