The Fruit Grower

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Keymaster

Spotted on a stall at Tractor World, a number of copies of an old magazine The Fruit Grower, Fruitere, Florist & Market Gardener. Some interesting old adverts in them. Well I ended up buying the lot, all 169 of them!!! Except the 10 Paul Mackellow had bought before I spotted them. They all date from 1934 to 1940. Below are an example of the front cover and a couple of adverts from 1934.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Advert for Weeks Dry Powder blower, something very similar was on display at Tractor World

Attachments:
    hortiman
    Participant

I remember my Father used to take the fruit grower & Market gardener, there were stacks of them in the old office, sadly they were all burnt many years ago.

Where are all the Malvern photos, there are usually masses of them posted by now!!

charlie
    Keymaster

Yes I guess most copies suffered a similar fate. Like most of these old publications it is the adverts that are of most interest to us.

vhgmcbuddy

as the fruit grower is still published i wonder if they have all the old ones archived??

charlie
    Keymaster

It would be a fair old archive if they did. Not sure when first publication was but with 2 volumes a year and second half of 1934 is volume LXXVIII (78) then the first one could have been 1895.

franktonpaget
    Participant

You never know what is going to turn up, very interested in the Weeks Hop Duster as I have acquired one from Kent for restoration.Your advert shows a horse drawn one , the one I have acquired is tractor drawn with wheel drive to the fan unit in the duster and also a agitator in the hopper.
    Have a look at the attached photographs .
    The tin parts,hopper,extract chute need work but I have found someone who owns another so hope to get details of missing bit
    regards Joe Paget

franktonpaget
    Participant

Try again with photographs

franktonpaget
    Participant

Photographs, if at first you do not !!

Attachments:
    will-haggle
    Participant

There were a couple at Tractor World. They were on two different re-enactment displays of hop picking families in Hereford…

Attachments:
    will-haggle
    Participant

…and if you come across an advert for this type of sprayer, I’ll have it! I have no idea who made it or when! 🙂

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

what can i say joe… only that would look great in the weeks/kent made display at biddenden tractorfest this year….. hint, hint

vhgmcbuddy

Good job we bought 10 copies of the Fruit Grower off that stall which all have Weeks adverts on them Kev, just right for Tractorfest !!

vhgmcbuddy

big big thumbs up to you paul, great news

charlie
    Keymaster

I plan to go through all the copies I have and scan the relevant adverts. In addition to Weeks, there are Cooper & Pegler, Drake & Fletcher, Geo Monro machinery and other products, Auto Culto, Planet, Bristol and Ransomes MG.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.