Split Rims

Home Forums General Help and information Split Rims

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    john-e-w
    Participant

When splitting/reassembling split rims (on rotavators) should you have “some” air in the tube to prevent the tube from being pinched between the two halves?

Regards
    John E-W

chris
    Participant

There should be no air at all when dismantling a split rim wheel, even a little pressure can cause the rims to come apart viciously if rims are rusted together or the bolts break when undoing!

On reassembly, I would say enough air to form the inner tube to its correct shape and hopefully tucking itself into the tyre nicely keeping the tube away from the rim faces.

wristpin
    Participant

When inflating tyres, on split rims or otherwise, the wheel, fitted to the machine, or loose, should always be end on and not facing the operator. That way, should the unexpected happen the rims or the tyre will be propelled out sideways and not towards the operator. Larger sized tyres should be inflated in a cage to contain the rims or the tyre in the event of a burst.

charlie
    Keymaster

I think it is worth noting that I think this topic refers to the split wheels as used on Monrotiller etc, not the split rim type of wheel as used on commercial vehicles, which can be lethal.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.