SImar A5

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    roatavator
    Participant

In talking to our French friends on the SIMAR site, they said the A5 is pretty rare on the continent, and they thought more were sold over here. Got me wondering, who else out there has got one? (There are one or two I know about, but no more than that.)

andyfrost
    Participant

Peter , I see you have two fillers on the tank , is this a Petrol/parrafin model , I know of a couple of PP 56aS , but as yet not a PP A5.

Andy.

roatavator
    Participant

Hi Andy
    Its got 2 tanks. The A5 manual (in English!) which I downloaded from the French site says the machines were supplied with 3 carb needles, one for petrol (or benzol), one for alcohol (!) and one for paraffin. I’ve just trawled a few images of A5’s and every one I can find has 2 tanks. I think 2 tanks were standard, have you seen one without?

Peter

charlie
    Keymaster

Peter, I will check out the serial numbers on the machines I have, also pretty sure they all have two filler caps.

andyfrost
    Participant

Peter , no I haven’t seen an A5 with a single cap. I looked at (and nearly bought) a 56A , which had two seperate tanks , it all looked original to me , and I’ve since seen one other.
    Is there any info on these being supplied in Petrol/Parrafin guise.

Andy.

roatavator
    Participant

Hi Andy
    I’m sure I’ve seen 56’s with 2 tanks, but I think 1 tank was more common. I’ve looked on the French site, there doesn’t seem to be any specific info relating to tanks on the 56, perhaps Charlie will know.

charlie
    Keymaster

I have instructions for a TVO conversion which I assume could also be used for paraffin, possibly with a different jet. A 56 with this fitted did appear on that well know auction site some time ago.

Attachments:
    roatavator
    Participant

I think, from my very rusty old memeory, that the only 56’s I’ve seen with 2 tanks have had the arrangement your TVO instructions show, Charlie. Suggesting it was only ever an optional extra for the 56, whereas I think all the A5’s I’ve seen pics of have had the 2 combined tanks in the single manufactured assembly, suggesting all were like this with no option.

charlie
    Keymaster

The old Rototiller 11 I am very slowly restoring also has a twin tank.

roatavator
    Participant

Are you any further on now, Charlie, or is it on hold until the new building is up?

hortiman
    Participant

Peter, your type 5 sounds very similar to mine, I don’t think they ever revved very fast as they had plenty of torque at low revs. Is that original paintwork? or has it been ‘restored’ in the past. There is hardly a scrap of paint on mine, and I am going to leave it just coated with linseed oil mix.
    Chris

roatavator
    Participant

Hi Chris
    I think its the original paint, but I’m not sure. There’s no overspray on the model and other plaques, but it just seems to good to be true that it could look like that after 86 years! And there’s no sign of any decal on the miller cover, suggesting it might have been painted over, but then again I don’t know if it had one like the 56 does. I agree with you, I like them to look as they were at the end of their real working days rather than being restored, and you don’t have to feel bad about using them for working events as there’s no new paint to worry about marking!

roatavator
    Participant

Chris, I lied. I have checked very closely, there IS overspray so she’s been painted at some time, but probably a long time ago.

charlie
    Keymaster

Peter, hopefully when new workshop is finished I can get back to using the garage and make some progress on the old model 11. New fuel tank and side panels all waiting to be fitted.

roatavator
    Participant

Look forward to hearing further progress, Charlie, its a grand job you’re doing, GOOD LUCK! Peter

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.