SImar A5

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    roatavator
    Participant

Well, after some delay, have finally got round to collecting my latest acquisition. 120 miles each way in the Commer, now on the return leg at 45mph top speed….
    Simar not currently a runner and might well appear later this year as a project! Serial number 623, any info Charlie.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

serial number doe snot seem to fit in range on the information I have. A5 are 4 digit serial numbers, 623? would be correct circa 1029-30.

roatavator
    Participant

Sorry Charlie, I’ve now had a better look, its 6239.
    Apparently it hasn’t been run for more than 20 years, the machine belonged to the grandfather of the late husband of the lady I bought it off, and has been in storage since, but it has compression and appears fully complete so hopefully its fixable!

charlie
    Keymaster

5900 May 1929- 6397 Oct 1930 498 machines, if information I am looking at is correct.

roatavator
    Participant

Thanks Charlie!

will-haggle
    Participant

I’ve turned your pictures over….

Attachments:
    roatavator
    Participant

Thanks Alan, I posted them on the road, Jr driving Commer at 40mph produces 95 decibels according to my Ipad, must have rattled the brain!

roatavator
    Participant

Well, finally got round to looking at the A5, half a day cleaning and lubricating magneto, fuelled up and away she went! (small video size as rushed indoors to pinch Mrs R’s phone in case it stopped!)
    Of course, after stopping it to put oil in gearbox and look at air cleaner, it now won’t go, but hopefully she’ll be reliably running in time for Little Ellingham working event in July!

charlie
    Keymaster

Sounds as if it is four stroking at times engine note changes from the usual two stroke sound to a harsher crack and sounds as if it has slowed down. My 56 does this.

trusty220
    Keymaster

It’s normally a sign of an over-rich mixture. Is the main jet adjustable?

andyfrost
    Participant

Sounds just fine to me Peter , a correctly set “stroker” should fourstroke when not under load , give it some work and as Neil said in the song “what a beautiful noise”.

Andy.

roatavator
    Participant

Yes, I wasn’t entirely sure about the running, she was 2 and 4 stroking but then the other SIMARS in my stable do as well. It doesn’t want to rev particularly high, but I’m not sure if this is because it was never meant to being quite a bit older than my 56. And of course she hasn’t run forover 20 years, so might have a bit of clearing out etc. She was a bit smoky, but that might be old oil in being burnt off ( I used the same mix as the 56 which doesn’t smoke much). I haven’t looked at the carb, if its like the other machines then there’s not an easy adjust for the mixture. If she goes again (!) I’ll see what she’s like under load at Little Ellingham before looking for trouble!

charlie
    Keymaster

The carb on the 56 has no adjustment for mixture, two fixed jets, probably worn.

roatavator
    Participant

I decided the timing was wrong, adjusted and now running a lot better.

roatavator
    Participant

Here’s the link, she will now rev very freely and feels as if she has power to work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.