Simar 56E!?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I am a proud owner of a working Simar 56. The model is said to be 56E according to the machinery plate, however I can not find any information on the E-series. The Simar was sold in Sweden and I have heard the explanation that the 56E was the British produced Simar 56 A by Geo Monro. I know at least five more Simar 56 in the “E-series” in Sweden, but I can not find any E-series machines outside Sweden.

My question is if anyone know by fact that the E is the Geo Monro made Simars and if anyone keep register on British made Simar 56? I would like to know when my machine was made.

/Per

vhgmcbuddy

The serial number is 560763. If anyone have a register that can give me the date of production I would be very happy.

Thanks/
    Per

Attachments:
    hortiman
    Participant

Hello Per.
    Your machine looks identical to my 56A, But I am sure Charlie will be able to explain any detailed differences, as he holds records from Geo Monro. I expect Charlie will reply soon.
    Chris

roatavator
    Participant

Now that’s interesting!
    I’m no expert on SIMAR numbers, the ID plate on yours says “imported” implying it was manufactured elsewhere rather than being made in Sweden. Its definitely the same as the 56a made and sold in UK by Monros which I have. Except that earlier models had “Simar Rototiller” on the spark plug cover, and later ones “Simar British Rototiller”; yours just says “Simar”.
    If Charlie can’t come up with the goods, might be worth a post on the French Simar site, they’re very helpful.
    Peter

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for your suggestions. I am quite sure that Simar machines have never been manufactured in Sweden only imported. However several implements (plough, ard, harrow etc.) have been produced in Sweden for the local market. I have a special made plough by the Factory Överum, a model that is showed with picture in the Swedish operating manual for Simar 55, 56 and 35 ( printed in 1958).

I found one post on the French Simar site (http://simar.discutbb.com/sujet-211135-609063-33927-1-enigme-su-doise.html) talking about the 56E. One guess was that it was a mistake when punching the numbers and letters. I don’t believe that since there are several “E” in Sweden. Perhaps the importer (Wilhelmson & Co) wanted to show a difference between the one made by SIMAR and the Geo Monro ones, but that is just speculations from my side.

Attachments:
    roatavator
    Participant

Thanks for that, I’d not noticed the 56e post on the French site before.
    If they’re correct in assuming the 56e’s were made by Monros then your serial number would tie in with the British numbering. Mine is 560115 delivered in February 1949, yours would be somewhat later than that.

If it is British, Charlie should have the exact date and may be able to tell you a bit more about delivery address.

Nice plough!!

Peter

charlie
    Keymaster

Per, I have checked in the factory records which I am custodian of for the VHGMC and can confirm your machine was made by Geo Monro. It is one of 20, serial numbers 560757 to 560776, exported to Sweden on 24-3-1950. Sent to Wilhelmson, this could be a spelling mistake as other entries show Vilhelmson etc see below. Other entries in the records show the following also going to Sweden,
    560501 to 560512 on 8-11-49 Villelsson.
    560543 to 560555 on 9-12-49 Villelmson.
    560577 to 560581 on 23-1-50 Villelmson.
    560592 to 560641 on 23-1-50 to 30-1-50 several batches going to different locations, Stockholm, Malmo, Gothenberg.
    560672 to 560741 on 21-2-50 and 24-3-50, two batches.
    560807 to 560871 on 20-4-50 to 22-6-50, three batches.
    560882 to 560916 on 16-5-50 to 22-6-50 several batches.
    560949 to 560958 on 7-7-50
    A total of 285 machines.
    The serial number plate appears to be one fitted by dealer in Sweden. I have not seen a spark plug cover with only SIMAR on it.

roatavator
    Participant

Hi all
    I’ve looked at the link to the French site again, the 56e on there also has only SIMAR on the spark plug cover.
    Looks like Monros must have made a special batch for the exports, logical as the machine was only known as “The Rototiller” in the UK. The serial number plate on mine, and I assume all other UK ones, just says “The Rototiller”, and doesn’t mention SIMAR at all.

jtg1
    Participant

could the “E” merely refer to export ?

charlie
    Keymaster

There seems to be at least three versions of the spark plug flap.
    SIMAR
    SIMAR Rototiller
    SIMAR British Rototiller
    Some of the spares list I have appear to be printed in Geneve and refer to Rototiller.

vhgmcbuddy

Many Thanks Charlie and others. Then I know some more about my SIMAR, which makes my happy.

The E can stand for Export. Someone once said to me that it stands for England. I can’t tell if any of the suggestions is right.

I just bought an other Simar (Sn:560764, 56E), in non working condition, that one will I use for spare parts. It will be interesting to go through the machine and compare with my other to see what differs between them, eg. What have been broken or changed.

Per

charlie
    Keymaster

Per, you have two 56E with consecutive serial numbers, that must be a lucky find.

vhgmcbuddy

Yes I have, and i didnt know until I got home with my second one. I just wanted the plough but the seller said that it was all or nothing, hence my second Simar.

/Per

vhgmcbuddy

Today i found my manual in Swedish for Simar rototillers. I attach some photos. To my surprise the manual not only give the model 56A and 56E but also model 56AE. Most specifications are the same for the three “models” but 56E and AE should have 3,5 kg oil in the gear box and 56A 4,5 kg. The E and AE have a wico magneto 56A not. The fuel filter is in the fuel tap together with the glass knob on model E and AE and in the fuel hose in A. The only difference I can find between E and AE are different jets for the carburettor. The E should have 70, 65 & 40 for first hours drive, normal & idling AE 75, 70 & 40.

Perhaps it interest some that SIMAR 35 also was sold in Sweden in a type AE with the only difference fron 35A and C that it had a AMAL carburettor and should have less oil in the gear box (3 kg instead for 3,5).

/Per

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Per, thanks for sharing that information, I was not aware of the different model suffixes and the minor mechanical differences ge carb jets.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.