Servicing ATCO-Villiers 2 stroke engines.

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Servicing ATCO-Villiers 2 stroke engines.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sidevalve44
    Participant

I have begun the servicing of the 12″ ATCO with 79cc Villiers 2T engine I bought a few weeks ago. (see my posting from 2.1/2 weeks ago)

The machine is very good overall condition. However, not having a service manual is proving a problem.

I want to change the points but, they appear to be behind a brass cover which is screwed on from the inside (!) so, I cannot see how you access them without removing the flywheel. If this is necessary, how easy is it to remove and is it necessary to remove the engine from the frame first ?

Also, what are the settings for the points gap and spark plug, plus re-torquing the flywheel nut after ?

If anyone has a copy of a service manual they could forward or provide a link that would be even more helpful.

Any hints or tips appreciated.

wristpin
    Participant

Join the Old Lawnmower Club; full Villiers magneto strip and rebuild instructions in the Technical section of their website.

charlie
    Keymaster

Is the cover screwed on or held by a clip that slides across to free the cover? If this engine is like most other Villiers the difficult part if removing flywheel is resetting timing as there is no keyway, the flywheel is on a tapper.

stuart
    Participant

Remove the flywheel as it will be SO much easier to work on the ignition system !!.Remove the flywheel nut in an anti clockwise direction when it will start to feel tight.Keep on turning the nut and this will then draw the F/W of the crankshaft taper.The condenser is situated behind the contact breaker box and will need removing from the alloy armature plate to fit a new one.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.