Rodents!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wristpin
    Participant

My “ garden shed” is a concrete panel garage with a corrugated roof – plenty of gaps for mice to find a way in. Other than traps etc , does any one know of a substance for discouraging / preventing the little blighters from chewing rubber components such as fuel pipes and primer bulbs?

Attachments:
    davidbliss
    Participant

Rodent mischief seem to escalate last year, I put it down to lack of moister as the number of cars and trucks really went up with screen washer rubber pipes eaten and the filler washer bottle tops, were the little devils hooked on screen washer?, so yours was the first petrol primer seen nibbled until took my strimmer down for the first time this year and found the primer on that had been nibbled. I use ordinary mouse traps, but put them in cages made out of scrap weld mech to keep pups noses from spring them, at the farm we used to bait with mouse bait in the grain store and using the old land drain clay pipes also to keep the pets noses out, as was told mouse bait was worse that rat poison. photos section with copper pipe not to clear.

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

I’ve tried allsorts of bait on traps , but miles ahead of anything else is Peanut Butter. If you can find where they’re getting in , and that’s far from easy , spray creosote round the area , they will not go near it again , a trick I learnt from my Father , he prayed the perimeter of most of his crops with it and seldom had Rabbit problems.

Andy.

davidbliss
    Participant

Chocolate is supposed to work on the traps very well but I just use cheese and works, as for spraying things my father was grumbling to one of the spray people in the early 60’s about the blackbirds getting his currants, spray chap said got the very thing, we still never got any blackcurrant jam ether that year, as although there were huge strings of currants hanging like grapes that year untouched, Mother said if the blackbirds won’t eat them nor will we.

hdtrust
    Participant

Hi Angus, the best way is to get hold of some Agricultural creosote, brush it onto some timber, then lay the timber on the floors close to your concrete walls. The smell will deter most vermin to include Badgers, without hurting them.

john-e-w
    Participant

Where do you get hold of Creosote these days??

John E-W

urbanalfa
    Participant

Either search on an auction site for ‘coal tar creosote’ or visit a local agricultural supplier

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.