Ransomes Steiner Turf Trac

Home Forums General Help and information Ransomes Steiner Turf Trac

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    expeatfarmer
    Participant

Does anyone know of a stockist of spare parts in the UK for these machines?

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

Your best bet is to look up your nearest Ransomes Jacobsen dealer using the Dealer Locator on their website.
    Beware, though, these were sold by Ransomes before they were combined with Jacobsen; they were not an Ipswich built product but were badged up Steiner products. What you have is the Turf Trac T-16 which was built and marketed by Steiner in the U.S.A., and were painted red when sold under the Steiner banner. They were only sold for a short space of time and came into the country in the late 1980’s whilst I was still a humble mechanic, then as I became a sales rep in 1990 I managed to sell a few before they stopped doing them (I think) around 1994.
    They were sold as bank mowers and would stick to the proverbial brick wall, but they had a nasty tendency to lift a rear wheel if you decided to reverse whilst on a side slope. If you kept them going forward they were fine.
    One story that I can tell you is of the boss’s son doing a demo with the larger brother, the T-21. He went down a steep hill on a golf course in Hereford with the front mower raised in the transport position. At some point he “chickened out” and slowed the tractor down, but all it did was tilt forward so that the mower was on the ground with the rear wheels in the air. This put the tractor into a very unstable condition, with the front wheels now acting as hydraulic pumps as it free-wheeled down the hill and the back wheels revolving backwards at the same speed; with the back end in the air there was no control over steering or speed and he bailed out pretty quickly, much to the amusement of the customer.
    And, no, he didn’t buy one after that!

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Thank you Trusty It certainly is a clever machine and ideal for dragging dead crawlers around.

trusty220
    Keymaster

One thing that I can add is that any engine parts should be easily obtainable through Kubota dealers and such items as fuel filters, even though they weren’t attached directly to the engine, were also Kubota sourced.
    The hydrostatic drive motors were quite weak on these machines and didn’t have a long service life; it may be a wise precaution to change the hydraulic oil frequently to prevent too much wear.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Thanks again Trusty

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Thanks again Trusty I would like to find a rear three point linkage set up for it.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Hello, Jonathon,

I came across the modern version of your TurfTrac last week, and the customer that I was visiting had bought it new this year so they are still about. The name on the side had changed to “Ventrac” and it didn’t look much different to what you bought, apart from being painted red and light grey.

If you do a Google search for “Ventrac” you can find their website quite easily.

I hope that helps.

Geoff

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Many thanks Geoff, I have found a front loader and dual wheels in Florida, just waiting for delivery. Missed three point linkage the week before. Is the Ventrac available in UK?

trusty220
    Keymaster

Yes it is. I don’t know who the importer is but it shouldn’t be too difficult to track down now that you know the modern name.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.