Ransomes MG2 Clutch Nut Torque

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransomes MG2 Clutch Nut Torque

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

While waiting for a replacement Magnito to arrive I decided to go over my MG2 checking all other jobs were done, grease nipples clear, nuts and bolts all where they should be etc….

Having recently removed and serviced the clutch, and having had some trouble to get it to seat properly on the conical shaft, I looked at my other (very sad old) MG2 for guidance, and found no spring washer, to tab washer or pin/wire to retain nut, only an unusually shaped thick washer, see attached image… I don’t want to strip threads as it is the cranck shaft!

QUESTIONS
    1. What is the torque applied to the clutch retaining nut on an MG2?
    2. Is there normally a spring washer similar fitted?
    3. Is the thick washer in image normal on MG2?

All advice welcome…..after two years of work I hope soon to have a working machine to bring along to a show or two this summer! Almost there.

Attachments:
    dave
    Participant

I have just checked my MG2 handbook and there is no reference to
    a torque setting for the clutch centre nut. The thick washer fits
    under the nut with the taper into the clutch. There is no spring
    washer shown in the handbook. I trust that may be of help to you.
    Dave.

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you Dave, very helpful. Confirming I have not missed something is half the battle.
    Cheers
    Graeme

vhgmcbuddy

Hi

I have used the thick ‘shaped’ washer from my sad machine, and torqued up to 720 inchpounds, ran it in she’d until engine warm, seemed ok. Oil pump lazy, so want to check that first before outing…..see other post on oil pump……I will report back on clutch once in full use.

Cheers for help.
    Graeme

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.