Ransomes MG2 #551

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Ransomes MG2 #551

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    joegrgraham
    Participant

Little victories!

The first parts have been painted!
    Sadly, it’s bits no one is ever going to see.

joegrgraham
    Participant

Forgot the pics!

Attachments:
    joegrgraham
    Participant

Hi all.
    Please could I have some thoughts regarding my serial number.
    My data plate reads 551.
    However, stamped twice into the gear assembly, and etched into the crownwheel, is the number 580!.
    To further confuse, the date stamped into the crownwheel is 4-37?!?.
    Firstly, assuming that 580 is a serial number, it would seem more likely that the data plate has been changed rather than the gear assembly?

Attachments:
    ransomes256
    Participant

Joe,
    The 580 is just an assembly number and I do not believe it applies to the serial number. The 4-37 suggests the crown wheels were produced in April 1937 which seems a long way in advance of the serial number 551 which is 1940. Please see Diesel Daves investigation into serial numbers.
    Neil

vhgmcbuddy

Someone else struggling with establishing the true identity of an mg2.
    From what i can make out from a fairly well corroded back plate is that my machine is number 1573, dating it to 1944/45 but my crown wheels are stamped 1/47 as in january 1947, my grandfather bought the crawler circa 1968 always said it was a 1937 and the engine number appears to have evaporated into the ether of time.
    Was there a mass mg2 ringing operation going on in the past?
    Sorry to hijack your thread a bit but has anyone ever gone to reading uni and dug through the sales archives?

joegrgraham
    Participant

Thanks for the info Neil.
    As it was built during the war, I suppose it is feasible ransomes were using what they could get their hands on, bits dug out of the stores, maybe a defunct machine that had been returned to the factory was cannibalized?.
    Dave, Charlie has close links with Reading I believe.
    Joe

vhgmcbuddy

Charlie who has commented in this thread?
    Where abouts are you Joe, i intend to bare tub my mg2 when i have eatablished the true identity and would appreciate seeing one stripped out if that would be alright with you?

joegrgraham
    Participant

Dave, I’m on the Gloucestershire/Wiltshire border, near Cirencester.
    You’re more than welcome to come and have a look if you’re local.
    If not, I can take pictures of anything you require and email them to you. PM me.
    Joe

joegrgraham
    Participant

The first (of many) parcels arrived from Neil, so have been able to get the main gear assembly back together.
    I’m still waiting to get the tub blasted, so in the meantime, I have made a start stripping, cleaning and assessing the final drives.
    The first side will require one new bearing and oilseals, the rest of the bearings will be ok with a clean and packing with fresh grease.
    The second side is currently marinating in a bucket of kerosene.
    At the moment, we’re going on quite nicely.

ransomes256
    Participant

Joe,
    I am a bit worried by the statement “packed with grease” The Ransomes MG range use no grease!
    All gearboxes and nipples are oil only. The side boxes, weight rollers and idler hubs are all EP140 and the engine and gearbox all SAE50. Oils seals on hubs and rollers are all installed backwards designed to leak oil out to clean surface but close down to keep dirt out. Grease will hold seals open and let dirt in.
    Neil

joegrgraham
    Participant

Thanks for the info Neil.
    I was misled by the bearings being full of grease on disassembly.
    On reflection, given the state of the oilseals, I think the previous ‘restorer’ must have used grease to try and patch up leaks.

joegrgraham
    Participant

Final drives are stripped and cleaned, got some primer on a couple of bits.
    Tonight I split the PTO unit in order to reseal the joint in the casings.
    Where the engage/disengage slider passes through the front casing, there appears to be some sort of seal. Is this an oilseal or a cork washer? and is it replaceable?
    Joe

Attachments:
    joegrgraham
    Participant

So, I got bored today and decided to start wire-brushing the tub.
    And yes, I emerged from the shed looking like a Smurf…..

Attachments:
    joegrgraham
    Participant

Just been looking at paint catalogues, (craftmaster paints) there appear to be two paints under ransomes blue, Orwell blue and nocton blue.
    Which is correct for an mg2?.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Orwell Blue is the lighter of the two colours used on MG2 and early MG5. Later machines were painted with Nacton Blue, both named after the factories where Ransomes built them which in turn were named after rivers around Ipswich.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.