Ransomes MG Crawlers in France

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransomes MG Crawlers in France

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    franktonpaget
    Participant

On a recent holiday in France I took the opportunity to revisit the rural museum at Saviac and have another look at the Ransomes MG tractors they have.
    The tractor serial numbers are MG6 11773 and MG? 11660, on one the makers plate has a strut fixing bolt drilled through obscuring the model number but it looks like either a MG5 or MG6.

I know some Ransome MG’s have come back from France and I thought the owners might be interested in the original decals fixed to the machines.
    On the machine side chassis you have England repaced by Angleterre and on the Front Bonnet tractor is spelt Tracteur photographs attached

dave
    Participant

Thanks for the numbers. Both machines are MG6 dating from 1957.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Thanks Joe can you re post the photos.

franktonpaget
    Participant

Resized photographs of transfers plus a couple more showing lift up cultivator frame lifted by pulley on pto with cable over lifting frame on rear of machine

Attachments:
    franktonpaget
    Participant

Interestingly a diesel Ransomes MG40 is for sale on a certain auction site ex France which has the hydraulic ram rear lift
    Some good photographs on the listing give the MG chassis number but also the French manufacturers plate on the rear lift attachment.
    I think this supports the idea that to get around protective French import duties on imported goods to help French home manufacturers, Ransomes were exported to France and fitted with French produced attachments
    If I remember correctly this is what “Expeatfarmer” said was the situation with his back actor attachment.
    The MG40 for sale also has the bonnet fitment but a different colour, is that the colour for exports ?.I know exported Ransomes ploughs and other implements had a different colour scheme rather than the normal home Blues.
    Interesting item but will Santa have deep pockets and a large chimney to bring home to some lucky chap for Christmas
    I did sow the seeds with “you can’t do too much for a good husband” but it fell on stony ground with the reply “you can’t do enough for a bad one ” !!!!!

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Joe I have an identical MG40N with a red bonnet which I imported from the south of France it cost much less, currently there are 6 MG Crawlers for sale in France on the Leboncoin site. If Santa wants to make me an offer I am happy to go and buy another one!!! You are right about the fitments the hydraulic pack is French but I understand they were fitted in Ipswich all the decals are also in French as was the handbook.I am expecting to display mine at Malvern.

vhgmcbuddy

Sorry to drag up an old thread but i might have heard where there is another mg40 that has been repatronised to our green and pleasant land. Mg40, electric start, diesel, got the same vertical mast behind the seat, starts runs drives etc, bit tatty. I know its only worth what someone is prepared to pay etc etc but what is it worth? Can i take off the mast and put it back to uk spec? Did ransomes ever make a winch for an mg?

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Dave
    Ransomes did not make a winch themselves but did supply MG6 ITC and ITW fitted with an inboard Boughton winch fitted under the seat.

vhgmcbuddy

Mmmmm interesting.
    Anybody have any pictures of these inboard boughton winches?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.