Ransomes Drayton Diesel – How Smokey

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransomes Drayton Diesel – How Smokey

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dave.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Just a quick query, how smokey is the drayton Diesel engine? I had my recently acquired Ransomes MG 6 with drayton diesel engine running over the weekend and it seems quite smokey, I haven’t got to the stage where it would be a working temperature so maybe this is making things a bit worse. The smoke is blue/white in colour so it’s oil. Wing burnt to excess fuel. I would appreciate your comments as usual. Thanks 🙂 Also, sorry to ask, do owners always need a wick to start the engine the first time? I seem to be able to start the engine without a wick okay when it’s been started once, but I can’t get it to go the first time without one. I managed to get some wicks from Belgium via the post but I’ve not found a supplier in the UK.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Hi
    The engine will be a bit smokey especially when cold, excess fuel from starting builds up in the exhaust and manifold which does not help.
    A number of things can be done to help reduce smoking, drain any excess oil that has collected in the crankcase as this will be drawn up by the two stroke ( plug in centre of crank case base )clean the gauze filter next to the oil filter , this is the crankcase breather if blocked adds to pressure and smoking. oil can also collect in the reed valve chamber which is below the air intake strangler take this off clean it in diesel and replace.

My Draytons will start with no wick from cold after a few turns on really cold days I heve replaced wicks with a glow plug which I obtained from Neil Jarrett I believe they are a citroen part. J.W. Stennett of Ipswich had a box full of cartridges the last time I was there. Hope this helps.

dave
    Participant

Hi Steve, I am sorry that I cannot help you with your smoking engine problem.
    When you get a moment can you please send me the tractor and engine numbers for
    the Ransomes register. Many thanks, Dave Clark.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.