Project: MG6 restoration

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Project: MG6 restoration

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all,

I am a part of a group who are restoring a Ransomes MG6 as our year 1 apprenticeship project.

So far, i would say we are doing well. We have the engine out, the bodywork has been stripped down and numerous parts are being sanded and shot blasted, ready for everything to be painted.

I am having a little trouble with the engine. I cannot get it to fire at all.

It has had a new spark plug, ignition lead, condenser and the points set but it refuses to fire.

I have tried dipping the spark plug into petrol and it still doesn’t fire. There is good compression and a strong blue spark when i crank it over.

It has the 356 carbourettor if that makes any difference. It has been stripped and cleaned, it is pretty much spotless inside now.

We have made a crank handle for it, but i am not sure if it is actually long enough. It would be genuinely awesome if someone could give us the dimensions of their crank handle too.

Cheers.

charlie
    Keymaster

Not familiar with the MG6 engine but I did have an MG2.
    Dipping a modern plug with an unglazed porcelain tip in petrol will not do it any good, old plugs had the tip glazed. If you suspect fuel is not getting through to cylinder put a drop of petrol down the plug hole, replace the plug and see if it fires when you crank it over. It could be the timing is out, does the MG6 magneto have an impulse unit, this flicks the magneto over faster when hand cranking to give a better spark, if it has you should hear it click when you turn the mag over.
    I am sure one of our club MG6 experts will be able to give further advice. Good luck with the project.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for your reply. Yes the magneto has an impulse unit. I honestly thought we had a broken valve until i did a little research into it.

I have the ignition timing set to ignite as it says in the service guide, and the timing chain is set up correctly too, according to the maintenance manual we managed to find.

dave
    Participant

Try ultrasonic cleaning the carb, I have found that this often works.
    If not a small squirt of petrol straight down the throat of the carb
    may help and fresh petrol is a must.
    Please send details of the machine no to me for the Ransomes
    register that I am setting up.
    Dave Clark.

vhgmcbuddy

Have you got it sparking on TDC with both valves closed?

What plug have you got, if it has a R in the part no then it has an internal resistor, it needs to be one without, also the plug cab must be 0ohms.

Have you got the air filter connected with oil in it as it may be drawing to much air, try putting your hand over the carb and turn it over you will feel it try to suck air in, that will draw file in and should fire at least once.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the input 🙂

The carb has been thoroughly cleaned now, as has the inside of the fuel pump.

The spark plug and ht lead have been replaced.

The ignition timing is spot on to the instructions in the manual, so it should start next time.

What modern equivalent oils can i use for the engine, transmission and the air filter?

Thanks.

ransomes256
    Participant

The engine and the main gearbox should be filled with a straight oil, 40 weight is ideal. Do not use a multigrade as these have detergents which keeps any dirt in suspension and as the engine only has a strainer filter (not a paper filter) the suspended dirt would return to the bearings and cause early failure.
    Air filter can use a modern oil 0w15 or a 5w20 (lighter the better)
    Side drive gearboxes, hubs, load rollers etc. need an SAE 140 oil. (Hypoid is OK)
    Following on from the spark plug comments by Rhys the plug, lead and plug cap must not be the resistor type. Copper cored cable is best for a magneto engine.
    Neil

vhgmcbuddy

Ok great thanks for that.
    So what oil is 140 SAE?

ransomes256
    Participant

SAE oil does not have the EP (extreme pressure) additives. The additives can attack bronze and brass components in some older gearboxes / overdrives where tolerances are critical. No such problems with the Ransomes plus the only extreme pressure gears on the tractor are in the main gearbox which is designed to use the same oil as the engine.
    Neil

oddhatuk
    Participant

I can recommend Morris Lubricants:-
    http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=138

I use their oils for my MG2, they will advise which of their products are suitable for the MG6

Good luck with the restoration,
    Hugh

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.