Portland, Australia Vintage Rally 2015

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Portland, Australia Vintage Rally 2015

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    arikispencer
    Participant

Howdy all.

Well Last weekend i attended a local rally at Portland Australia, the rally typically has a large number of tractors and fair few stationary engines and not much else but this year they sent me a letter asking for some rotary hoes, so rotary hoes they got.

In the Garden machinery side of things the rally sported:

Paul Westlakes Howard 2000 with toolbar attached (photo attached)

On top of that Dad and Myself took along a few machines.
    -Howard Hauler L1 One ton hauler(restored by Reg Schueser)
    -Howard kelpie with plough(restored by Reg Schueser)
    -1949 Howard Junior (restored by myself)
    -1947 Howard Cub
    -Howard 200
    -Kelly and Lewis Gardener with scarifier attachment(built springvale Australia)
    -Modra with furrower(Built in underdale Australia)
    -Landmaster L150 with potato lifter(Plated Firth Clevland Ballaarat Vic Australia)
    -Howard Yeoman
    -Howard Gem(farm modified to have mk5 JAP engine, non orig carbie and a VW aircleaner)
    -Howard Bulldog
    -Howard Bullfinch
    -Howard Bantam
    -RA Colwood(restored By Myself)
    -Farmers Boy Mk2 with Toolbar
    -Barford Atom 25 with plough
    -Monro tiller Mk2

So as you can see we took them a nice range of machines and over the 2 days had alot of interest and alot of people talk about alot of the machines, and as usual heard alot of good stories from older fellas of how they used to use the machines when they were younger.

The Rally also sported one of your native English fellas a Master Thatcher from Salsbury who put on a demonstration for the 2 days.

A couple of pictures attached to show what the rally had to offer.

Thanks,
    Dan

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Dan, what an excellent display. Amongst the interested spectators were there any other collectors?

stuart
    Participant

That’s some collection you have there Dan.Well done.

hortiman
    Participant

Hello Dan.
    I remember seeing the Howard ‘kelpie’ in Reg Shuster’s museum in 1997 in fact I have photos somewhere. I was lucky enough to have a guided tour around his fantastic place. The rusty 4wd road trains were a sight to behold, I believe he restored one in the end, is that correct?, I must admit I have forgotten their name, but I think they were pre WW1.

Super line up at your show, good luck.
    Chris Fuller

arikispencer
    Participant

Mornin all,

@Charlie
    , Yes a number of those that hung around for a long chat were collectors, including Paul Westlake who collects only Howard machines and has that nice Howard 2000 Pictured, there were a couple of other minor collectors that talked to us at some point during the weekend.

@Stuart
    , Yep a very small portion of our collection here, and still growing 🙁 but oh well better then spendin me money on grog or smokes.

@Hortiman
    , Dad and I spent several hours walking around Regs collection, and by god did he have some gear, I think you must be referring to the Caldwell-vale heavy haulage truck? I’ll attach a picture.

Thanks,
    Dan

Attachments:
    hortiman
    Participant

The Caldwell-Vale looks awesome now, when I saw the pile of rusty metal, I could not imagine anyone ever making something as impressive as that. It must have been one of the earliest 4×4 trucks made.
    I remember seeing the wheels, I think he had the remains of 2 trucks, the wheels looked like traction engine wheels, and there was a section of chassis and the axles/transmission, no bodywork at all and I believe the engine was being worked on at the time. Did I read somewhere fairly recently that Reg is still around? he must be some age, as he was no spring chicken when I met him in 97. Has the museum been dispersed or is it still operating? I believe I only got to visit because I was staying with tractor collector Mal Cameron down at South West Rocks. and with Albert Brimblecombe at St George, who had an enormous Cotton Farm and an enormous collection of tractors of all ages.

Regards
    Chris

arikispencer
    Participant

Reg was still around just prior to christmas, age 90, he was still able to drive his truck out of the shed for me and dad to load up the Kelpie, Hauler and Junior we purchased from him, he has cancer and believes he has only about 2 years left, he is working on selling all of his gear. yes i seen the photos of the rust piles he built that machine from, he built a whole new chasis and steering setup for it, it was an amazing machine, unfortunatly we couldnt afford it, assuming that the Alis springs truck museum did take all his trucks as they had first option on them. It was probably my post about the trip to gold coast to pick up stuff that you read he was still around?

Thanks,
    Dan

will-haggle
    Participant

Couldn’t get any more on then, Dan? I’ve copied the words for a future edition of the Cultivator, could you send me the pictures, please? cultivator-editor@outlook.com. Your last one is in the April issue.
    Thanks a lot,

arikispencer
    Participant

@will-haggle

No couldn’t get any more on as me older brother had the other big trailer, but i think we had a fair sized load on as it was anyway.

I’ll send through the photos now if they will send.

Thanks,
    Dan

will-haggle
    Participant

@arikispencer, I was joking mate!

arikispencer
    Participant

Theres a big rally commin up locally, Hamilton 50 k’s from home and where i work just won the right to host the 2017 NHMA national rally, apparently the biggest rally in the southern hemisphere, so will have to get both trailers loaded up for that one… I’ve already started working on getting more of my machines up to scratch ready ..

charlie
    Keymaster

Sounds like I will have to send you some publicity material for the VHGMC

arikispencer
    Participant

@charlie i was gunna ask for such closer to the date so that any such material is up to date if it alters at any point. and i was also goin to enquire about a design of a banner that we could have made for the rallys we attend.

charlie
    Keymaster

We have a couple of standard banner designs and publicity leaflets. I can send these to you if you send me a pm with your e mail

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.