New Simar Tine Springs

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion New Simar Tine Springs

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Keymaster

Model 10. (If anyone should have one). Model 11 may be the same.
    Springs 634 and tines 635, 635A, 635B.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for posting the different spring and tine types Charlie.

On the subject of getting new tines laser cut from sheet, the Steel I plan on using is Hardox 400. I use this regularly at work when designing soil engaging implements.

vhgmcbuddy

I have received a quote from another company interested in making the springs. The cost per spring for a batch of 100 would be £12.50 excluding VAT and delivery.

roatavator
    Participant

That looks like an excellent price, Sean.
    Looking at your photos, some of the tines don’t look too bad. I know they’re corroded, but they clean up great after half an hours working, only of course to go corroded again when you lay up the machine for the winter!
    I’ve got loads of old tines which I assume were kept when the springs broke, and whole new tine/spring assemblies ordered. I’ve put one or two on my Simar, and they seem to do the job OK.

charlie
    Keymaster

£12.50 sounds a much better price, I assume they do know what they will be used for and what heat treatment they will need to avoid breakages. I say this as some years ago another member got a very good price until he explained exactly what they were for.

vhgmcbuddy

Having looked at the tines again, I think you are right Peter. They don’t appear to be very worn, just heavily pitted, so will probably stick with them for the time being.

Agreed Charlie, my bank account also is much happier with £12.50!!! I have explained to all companies that I have contacted what the springs are used for. I have also supplied them with photo’s of my machine and one of my original springs. What I am hoping to do is purchase an initial small quantity ahead of the large batch order. These can then be checked for fit and also trialled on a suitable working machine to make sure they will perform as intended.

roatavator
    Participant

Sean, like everyone else, I’m short of springs, but if anyone out there has the odd broken or badly worn tine they need to replace, I’d be happy to let one or two of those go, can’t see me using them all up in my lifetime, and there’s enough to keep Jr going as well when he inherits the 56!
    Got me wondering as to what our Simars would have looked like when brand new, especially the tine/spring/lug assembly. I suspect they might have been supplied bare metal, but the Bungartz springs which were available a few years ago were black. Charlie, any chance you’ve got some colour photos of brand new Simars in your collection?

charlie
    Keymaster

When I was given a C30B it came with a few new springs and tines, these were unpainted. The only colour image I have of a 56 is from a sales leaflet where tines do appear to be black.

Attachments:
    roatavator
    Participant

Great image, Charlie. Looks like they might be painted springs. Not so sure about the green though, looks a bit insipid, do you think this is the brochure fading with age, or have our machine’s finishes changed darker over 65 years weathering and ageing?

charlie
    Keymaster

I think it is a case of printing techniques were not so good at matching colours back then combined with ageing of our machines.

charlie
    Keymaster

multiple spam removed

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.