Monro tiller tine shaft bearing – she is broke!

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Monro tiller tine shaft bearing – she is broke!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi everyone – I’m a lapsed vhgmc member, owner of a series3 Monro Tiller. I’ve had a year or two away playing with vintage mopeds, but am better now and back to rotavators (sounds like my application to AA!).
    Anywho, wonder if someone can help? Using my Monro Tiller last week and have dislocated the tine shaft from the nearside bearing cup. Looks like the bearing is simply a plain bush, but I’ve lost the felt seal and cap, I guess these was perhaps a thrust washer on the end of the shaft.
    Anyone any recent experience of refurbishing these bearings?
    Any ideas welcome, and thanks for letting me back in.
    James Bird

charlie
    Keymaster

James welcome back. Do you have an owners manual? This has an illustrated parts list which will help identify what is missing. Best option would be to strip it down and see what is worn or missing.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Charlie, nice to hear from you. Looking at the manual you supplied, I’ve lost MT39 – Miller axel felt washer small, and my MT40 bearing cap end, I’d have thought my RC40 spring washer has gone and I may have lost the compo bearing MT361, it wasn’t on the end of the axel, but may be caught in the shell.
    I guess the simplest way forward is to drill out the rivets and remove the shell from the outside? And then see what’s what. I can bolt it back in with suitably sized bolts an nylocs?
    $64,000 question is will I be able to source something to replace the bearing, or will I be able to find a bearing assembly in an gash miller attachment.
    I’m guessing that built in ’63 it’s now out of warrantee – poor show that like rolls Royce they’ve not sent their man round yet to fix it for me!

charlie
    Keymaster

I will have a look at my series 3 and see what is what and hopefully come up with a solution to your bearing problem.

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you Charlie, we very glad of any advice.
    J

vhgmcbuddy

Hi everyone, it’s that time of year – sap is rising and I need to get allotment dug – But strangely my Series3 Monro Tiller has not mended its self over winter!
    I’m after a replacement miller shaft bearing – Does anyone have a miller unit they’d be prepared to drill the bearing shell out of? Money, or beer or beer money available as appropriate. The part I’m after is the nearside bearing assembly that supports and locates the non driven end of the main miller tine shaft.
    Be very glad of any help.
    Thanks
    James

charlie
    Keymaster

James, I must see what I can find.

charlie
    Keymaster

James, is this what you need? The felt washer and cup have long gone. I think they just help keep dirt out of bearing.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

James, having a look through the parts list, the miller shaft spigot housing MT38 (as shown my photos above) houses the bearing MT361, and is held in place by four 1/4″ x 1″ Whit coutnersunk screws MT362, spring washer RC40 and nuts RC212.
    Can you post a photo of your miller shaft and damaged bearing etc?

vhgmcbuddy

Charlie, thank you. Will try get to allotment Sun and photograph. My memory is my shell is riveted in and don’t think it’s got a greese nipple. But may be remembering wrong, and anywho I’d be sure they could be interchanged. Thanks for the pics, I’ll be back to you soon as I can.
    Best
    James

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Charlie. Poor quality photos attached. The damage was caused by (I guess) a big stone getting dragged around, distorting the side of the casing and dislocating the shaft out of the bearing, breaking the tin cap and tearing the large felt washer. I’ve cleaned up the bearing and popped the start back in. But, having now looked at the manual you supplied a while ago I worry that the spring washer is gone as perhaps the is the ‘compo’ bearing (compressions? composite construction?). There’s no doubt my bearing cap is riveted in – look like v large pop rivits and that I don’t have a greese nipple (nor the hole where a snapped of one went).
    The upshot is I guess I could use what I’ve got, but I’m worried I’ll just damage the end of the shaft with the remains of the bearing. If I could I’d like to get a replacement assembly that hopefully is more complete.
    Is the one you photoed available at the right price?
    Thanks for you help
    James

vhgmcbuddy

Some reason pics didn’t attach

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

James, are you sure it is riveted? It should have countersunk screws with nuts on inside, mine has had normal nuts and bolts fitted and appear to be slightly different design as no counter sunk hole. If the shaft is still a reasonable fit in the bearing you should be OK so long as bearing is well lubricated. Long term it will need a felt washer and cap.

vhgmcbuddy

I was thinking I could fabricate a cap out of some tin plate, the felt washer obviously easy enough. My remaining worry is the spring washer, which I guess is in effect a thrust washer? I’ll disassemble one more time this weekend and check. I’ll also check rivits vs bolts. Could it be the late series 3 had reduced themselves to rivits rather than bolts? My machine numbered 234575, and I now can’t remember how I’ve mixed and matched the parts various as I’ve acquired finger mower, hoe, plough etc.
    Back to you this weekend.
    Thanks

charlie
    Keymaster

Spring washer RC40 is for the fixing bolts, not a thrust washer. Below is an extract from an earlier parts list for the series 3 which shows the parts laid out in the correct order.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.