Merry Tiller Problems

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Merry Tiller Problems

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I’ve just paid a high price on eBay for a Merry Tiller only to find it is a wreck. My problem is now to salvage something and potentially do some work to improve the condition. The problems include a missing key to fix the large pulley to the shaft; refurbishing the jockey/tensioning roller where the bearing pin has been replaced with all thread;replacing the worn tines and obtaining the right size of belt. The Merry Tiller was purchased to do work in an 18th Century Walled garden that has just been purchased by a registered charity. Advice to help sort out the machine will be much appreciated.

Attachments:
    stuart
    Participant

A square / flat key should be easy to make for the large pulley / chaincase input shaft.I see it has a large double pulley arrangement which means its had a reverse drive set up fitted.The rotors (tines) look ok to me from the pics so should still be serviceable ??.The belt tensioning jockey pulley does look a bodge i agree.However im sure you can improve on this !! Difficult to tell from the pics but the engine pulley wants to be a steel one and not aluminium.Obviously the Honda engine is a replacement which should be fine if in good mechanical condition.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi. Sorry to read about your troubles, I fitted a Honda engine to Merry Tiller Major and using the pulley from the Briggs engine everything line up with no trouble. Someone put this Honda engine on and tried to alter the tensioner to line up with the engine. I am wondering if this Honda has a tapered pulley shaft. It needs to be the straight shaft.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the comments. I suppose I could try to file a key from mild steel? I don’t understand the significance of the double large pulley. If I had workshop facilities I could improve on the jockey wheel but unfortunately I don’t have them. The Honda GX140 engine clearly is a replacement. I’ll have a go. Also need a new clutch cable and a pulley. Sadly, it looks as though few spares are available.

stuart
    Participant

The double pulley arrangement is for a reverse drive but there is lots of parts missing on your machine for it to work.It was originally available as a “kit” to make the rotavator more versatile.

vhgmcbuddy

The double pulley might be original or could have been fitted to run the belt on the outside pulley. Seeing the tensioner is extended. if you can make a key and put the large pulleys back to see what it looks like as regards lining up.. If I remember right the key is 1/8 inch square X 1 1/4 inch long.

vhgmcbuddy

Many thanks Owen. That is a great help. Mick

vhgmcbuddy

I’ve just visited where we store the Merry Tiller and find that the bearing within the roller is worn. It looks like a none replaceable type type of bearing.Does anyone have a spare belt tensioning roller? I’d guess its about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches wide.

sidevalve44
    Participant

Check out Merrytiller.co.uk, most spares are available. I fitted a Chinese Honda copy to my Wizard and had to shorten the operating arm on the belt tensioner to avoid it fouling the crankcase. Otherwise, it was straightforward.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.