Merry Tiller home made implement

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Merry Tiller home made implement

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Seen these at a local action today, this implement made up for a merry tiller. Any ideas what it could have been used for, there were a few suggestions at the sale. The other was the Shay mower, looked in good order. I didn’t stay to see what it sold for.

Attachments:
    jtg1
    Participant

could have been a home made been planter. might work for peas and onion sets too

will-haggle
    Participant

I thought that as well, John, the two wings at the back covering the drill back up….

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for your replies, I would think your right. A few at the sale said bean planter, but a lot thought it was a potato planter. But it wouldn’t have taken out a big enough drill for potato’s.

will-haggle
    Participant

A good point Owen, there was never a planter made for the Merry Tiller, at least not in my catalogue but you could tow a Planet or similar behind it. Charlie has two to go behind his Barford Atom and Dashwood made some under the Whitwood name for the Colwood…
    There now, that’s got you looking!

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Alan. This was home made, the MT depth bar was welded up front with the foot still on it. Someone must have had a big plot or market garden to warrant using it. No good in my little patch.

charlie
    Keymaster

The Shay would make an interesting and unusual addition to someones collection.

charlie
    Keymaster

A quick look through my Shay literature and it looks like the mower is a Rotoscythe Countryman

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Charlie. About 1950 I see with a shay engine, it was in good order for that age.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.