Laser (Westood) Ride on help

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Laser (Westood) Ride on help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello folks,

Hopefully Looking for some help before the snow comes around

I have a Laser ride on mower which i have owned for many years and mainly use for just plowing our private road so the cutting deck has been removed.

I regularly start the machine and was fine up until last week, and now it wont start. Ive put in a new battery and always use fresh fuel.

Ive changed the spark plug, cleaned the carb and theres fuel getting through so im stuck as to what to check next. Any ideas would be very grateful. It turns over strongly but just wont start.

vhgmcbuddy

Video………..Hopefully this one works

charlie
    Keymaster

Have you checked to see that you have a spark at the plug? It is not unknown for a new plug to be a dud.

stuart
    Participant

Take the spark plug out,squirt some fuel into the cylinder,replace spark plug and try to start engine.If it fires up briefly but then stops you either have a compression related problem (usually valves not seating or a valve clearance issue) or a fueling / carburettor problem.Depending on how mechanically minded you are the fueling issue would be easier to rectify.Laser ride on mowers should have a Japanese engine fitted (a Honda or Kawasaki) so i doubt very much it would be an ignition related problem but they are getting old now so its still worth checking as well !!.If the spark plug is really wet with fuel (flooding) then recheck your carburettor and float.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks guys, Today there is NO spark……….I have tried another 2 plugs and still no spark so its an ignition problem somewhere……….Now i am stuck

wristpin
    Participant

Early Lasers had Koehler engines, so the starting point is to determine what you have.
    If the engine is cranking but not firing the plug the first step is to isolate the engine from the machine’s safety switches etc which could be “saying unsafe to start”.
    This is where some engine info is needed as it’s necessary to identify the “ kill wire” that connects the engine’s ignition system from the machine’s key switch ( ignition switch) and the machine’s safety systems.
    Once identified and disconnected it can then be determined whether you have an engine fault or a systems fault. NOTE If it’s a safety systems fault, with the kill wire disconnected, the engine will start but turning off the ignition key won’t stop it.
    If, with the kill wire disconnected there is still no spark, you have an engine ignition system fault. If the engine is old enough to have a points ignition system, dirty points are the possible culprit. If it has an electronic system, life gets more complicated !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.