JAP 2 stroke water pump Flywheel removal

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements JAP 2 stroke water pump Flywheel removal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    peteuk
    Participant

Hello everyone, I wonder if anyone can help identify the JAP 2 stroke engine i have (model)
    it wwas used for years buy the previous owner to water hia potatoe crop.

My main problem is that the HT lead was broken and i need to replace it, but cannot get the flywheel off, have tried and out side pulley bit its not budging

Any help would be appreciated

Peter

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

You have a JAP80 , in image three you will see three threaded holes , you will need to make up a puller using these three holes , on no account try to remove it using a puller on the outside edge of the flywheel , as you run a great risk of splitting the flywheel.It’s on a taper , and once you have made a suitable puller , it should pop off realtively easily.

Andy.

trusty220
    Keymaster

As Andy says, do not use the three legged puller on the outside edge of the flywheel- at best you run the risk of distorting it.

Make up a puller which exactly matches the three holes in the flywheel centre. Mild steel plate 1/4″ thick should be enough, then drill three holes to match the flywheel holes. You will then need to find three bolts of the correct thread (JAP engines normally used Cycle Thread, known as CEI) which you can put through the puller holes and thread into the flywheel. Once you’ve tightened them firmly a sharp tap over the end of the crankshaft should unseat the taper holding the flywheel. If you put the flywheel nut on the crankshaft threads first it helps to avoid damaging the crankshaft threads if it proves a little stubborn; a little heat is also useful if it doesn’t come off straightaway.

I hope that helps a little. Good luck.

andyfrost
    Participant

Spot on Geoff , you have a better way with words than me.

peteuk
    Participant

Thank you so much for the advise andyfrost & trusty220
    your advise alone will make it worth while me joining to group properly

Regards

Peter

andyfrost
    Participant

Peter , a couple of things…….. Firstly glad you have joined us and a warm welcome.
    Secondly , looking at your first photo , it appears someone in the past has had the cylinder head off and put it back incorrectly , the cooling fins should be the opposite to what’s in the picture , in order for the air to run through them, I hope I’m making sense and that you can see what I mean.

Andy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.