jalo colours

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements jalo colours

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    moggyjim
    Participant

picked up a jalo gardiner push hoe no idea how old with little or no paint can anyone tell me the age and proper colours. The metal handle has some black on it the wheel looks like it was once red and the discs and other attachments have no colour at all?? Need to get it looking smart for our show in june. pictures to follow..

stevewoollas
    Participant

Jalo painted the steel parts of their hoes. Aluminium wheels, (early models), and aluminium tool frames, (all but very early models), were not painted.
    The red on the wheels is, typically, Post Office Red or similar.
    Most handles were Green, Mid Brunswick appears to be a worthy match, although I have seen both yellow and light blue which both appeared to be original.
    Tools were black. I use Wilko Multi-Surface Enamel Spray in Satin Black which gives a nice “metal black” finish without being over glossy.
    Good luck with yours–Steve

moggyjim
    Participant

Are the jalo discs rare as this is the first set i have seen in the flesh ??

stevewoollas
    Participant

Most Jalo’s appear to have been supplied with hoe blades and cultivator tines these being the most popular of tools. Then, I guess the potato ridger and plough followed by the rakes, (also known as combs), discs and spike discs and fan (leaf or grass) rake. Much rarer would be the flame gun attachment and the wheelbarrow attachment and with both I would include the correct mounting brackets to be authentic.
    Bear in mind the Jalo was very much based upon the concept of the Planet Jr which had been around since the late 1800’s and the bolt on tools are all interchangeable. Planet tools are readily identified by their cast in part numbers and other manufacturers also produced their own tools, ie Fuller, Browns which are also copies and interchangeable.
    Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.