ISEKI KS 280 Rotovator 1970 ish

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects ISEKI KS 280 Rotovator 1970 ish

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I always love going and getting rid of my garden waste down at the tip. You never know until you get there whats been dumped. Well lucky for me here is the machine I brought back. It has 2 forward speeds and a reverse and also has a PTO pulley which could be handy for jumping off stationary engines and attachments. Engine rated at 3 hp and runs on 2 stroke at a ratio of 25 to 1 same as a chainsaw or sthil saw. Probably never been run for over 20 years so a full strip down on the menu.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

On the strip down I found to my amazement that it had been working with what looked like pea soup both in the tank and carb. This had to go and a full clean out had me busy for 2 hours. Besides that a tray of leaves was also removed from the belt guard. once inside the air filter which was spotless I removed this to find that the carb was like new. This makes me think that the filter system is top notch.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Not sure as to what will be the outcome paint wise but if it performs well under a good workout I may restore. what are the readers thoughts ?

hillsider
    Participant

I don’t know about stale fuel but that first picture could easily be gnat’s pee – or was that Bee Pee?

hillsider
    Participant

https://www.iseki.co.jp/english/products/prod-12.html

Hello John it looks as though you may be able to contact Iseki at Ipswich, they may have info on your machine.
    Ray

vhgmcbuddy

thanks ray. this petrol/ pea soup was foul. I said to paul makellow its sarki and he comented it looked like curry

vhgmcbuddy

have we on here anyone who could have worked on these say 35 years ago. it has a Kawasaki engine 3 hp two stroke.

andyfrost
    Participant

John , I actually owned one of these , they are (or at least in the day)a very high quality machine.
    I always thought that the engine was Isekis own manufacture.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

andy you may be correct. its just I heard it from someone that it was a rebadged Kawasaki engine. as you have had one of these in the past was the petrol tank white ? I know the newer ones are red. its just so I get the combination right for showing. thanks john

andyfrost
    Participant

John , from memory I’m certain it was red.

Andy.

wristpin
    Participant

We took in a similar machine some years ago and it certainly was a quality bit of kit. Unfortunately this particular one had a problem in that we couldn’t stop the carb flooding. Simple enough – fit a new needle and seat. However a lot of chasing around via Ransomes and Iseki in France failed to produce the required items and it got put to one side and eventually jobbed out.
    As far as the Kawasaki connection goes, no one suggested or mentioned this during our searches. I still have a photo copy parts parts list for the carb and there is nothing on this to suggest a Kawasaki connection, but ……….!

stuart
    Participant

The engine is a Kawasaki KT290.If so its the same engine in my Iseki AC-2 rotavator / tiller.The engine model number should be stamped on the crankcases.The KT290 engine has a capacity of 60cc.Heres a few pics of my engine in my Iseki AC-2 rotavator.Does it look the same as yours ???
     photo DSC04000_zps88d73a78.jpg
     photo DSC04002_zpsf46674e1.jpg
     photo DSC04001_zps4c5723e3.jpg

vhgmcbuddy

Stuart.yes its the same one.ot even has same carb and air filter
    I know i keep goi.g on about the colours but thetank has been sprayed white which is same colour as engie now if it wasred it would still be
    have rubbed tank down to metal and no red present. Thanks angus and stuart

stuart
    Participant

The fuel tank should be red John.Also if you do a Google image search of Iseki KS280 all the images show a red fuel tank.Heres a sales brochure i found.
     photo IsekiKS280_zpsab39ff66.jpg

vhgmcbuddy

thanks stuart it seems every one is saying red. so red it is,and thanks for sales brochure it will be good to get it printed off. have just remembered stuart do you know what the writing says near the swivel point on handle bars mine has worn away so badly I cannot read what it says. this will be needed for new decals. thanks again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.