Identifying a Westwood

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Identifying a Westwood

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Just got my hands on the following and want to start a restoration job.

Can one of the members please help me identify the following Westwood ride on.Unfortunately most of the Model Identifying stickers have fallen off over time

I believe it to be a Westwood Gazelle W11? (steering wheel – don’t know if its original says Gazelle) or a S1100, but as this has been ” maintained by robbing parts from others” it could be anything.I s the power take off flap at the back unique? The engine is a B&S 11HP 400cc, Model 253707,Type 0168 01, Code 84081411. Hood and side stickers look original

Lastly could anybody recommend a good sand blaster/ powder coater in Kent, UK. for body parts and wheels

Attachments:
    alan
    Participant

Hello,

That looks a good project to be doing, I once rebuilt a Westwood many years back. Most parts should be easily available. Tyres are standard size and available online, I think I have seen Westwood stickers for sale online as well.

I’ve done a bit of searching and had a look through the Westwood brochures that I have and think that your machine might be a W11 as you suggest but decals do hint at a T series.

The steering wheel looks original – they can be a devil to remove. I also recall that rear wheel hubs are hard to remove too once they’ve siezed on!

Engine dates it to 1984, from the info I have Westwood appear to have started manufacturing this style of tractor in the early 1980’s.

PTO at the rear is for the powered grass collector and a few other items as can be seen in the gallery image of a later model. http://vhgmc.co.uk/photo-galleries/westwood/westwood-tractor-attachments-imgwestw003/

And also on the image from the brochure:

Westwood Lawn Sweeper

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Really appreciate the assistance, now i can start part hunting. Latest updates…

Got the engine to run today and discovered after an engine flush that the crank shaft oil seal (£3.50) is leaking like crazy.. so a complete engine removal and replacement (4 hours work). I’ve disassembled and reassembled the brake today also.

There are few places in North Kent that do Soda Blasting, I’ll let you know how things turn out.
    Planning on using Bonda antirust primer paint-on and then High fill Anti rust primer on top with a Black satin colour coat. Recon this will will be my cheaper alternative to powder coat of the arches (which will run me about £150), for the same process except powder coat vs black paint. After all she (Kids christened her “mini mo”) is nothing to enter any competitions.

vhgmcbuddy

Made further progress today in ID’ing the ride on mower, recon i have a T1200 chassis with a swapped out motor. Reason being is its the only 1983/1984 part list that has the forward raking deck adjuster on the front.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi
    New to the forum. It looks to me like my Gazelle which is remarkably similar to a T1100. My T1200 has all orange chassis, separate large petrol tank next to the battery behind the dash and full PTO whereas the Gazelle has engine mounted tank and black chassis and PTO is not there.
    HughK.

alan
    Participant

Nice to see that you are collecting Westwoods.

Like most machines Westwood tractors differ in specification through production. Westwood made all their tractors in their own factory and as such had the freedom to do what they wanted when they wanted. I’m sure there are a few obscure Westwoods lurking about!

Westwood made nearly everything ‘in house’ apart from the Peerless gearboxes and Briggs engines which were bought in. Even then the engines might have been what Briggs happened to have ready that day!

When I find a bit more info about Westwood then I may write an article about them.

wristpin
    Participant

Westwood made nearly everything ‘in house’ apart from the Peerless gearboxes and Briggs engines which were bought in. Even then the engines might have been what Briggs happened to have ready that day!

In the early days things were a bit hit and miss with the parts books being rather fond of “use as necessary” when it came to shims and thrust washers. I remember buying a pack of three cutter spindles and there was 5/16″ (yes 5/16″!!) difference in length between the longest and shortest.
    That aside they had to be admired for having the guts to come up with a home built product when the alternatives were expensive imports. Any one remember their first powered grass collector – friction driven off the back wheels?

alan
    Participant

We do indeed have to admire Westwood for creating their tractors from scratch and making it a success – there’s still loads of the older machines about too.

Westwood made some interesting tractor mounted implements including the Rotodynamic Cultivator. I have never seen one but think it’d be fun to try it out!

Westwood-Rotodynamic-Cultivator

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.