Howard Gem with JAP 600cc engine

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Howard Gem with JAP 600cc engine

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I have recently bought this machine as a renovation project. I guess it is from the early 50s. I am looking for the serial number but so far I cannot find it amongst all the muck and rust. I need a new cylinder head gasket for the JAP engine – the copper covered version – Any advice as to where I can find one? Also the wheel hub oil seals are leaking. Any general advice would be much welcomed.

charlie
    Keymaster

The serial number should be stamped into the top of the tube that runs back from the fuel tank to where the gear selector is, it may need rubbing down with emery paper to reveal it.
    Meetens may have a cylinder head gasket.

vhgmcbuddy

look on the engine for serial number, you can date the machine by the number.

you can anneal the original copper head gasket if you still have it, get a blow torch, heat until cherry red all over then place in a bucket of cold water to re soften.

vhgmcbuddy

The number of the HG is G5051 and the engine number 6185. Does this help?

Regards Mike G

hortiman
    Participant

The part numbers with a G suffix are Gem part numbers, not the machine number, you have to trace the number on the chassis frame tube to locate the machine number, I am not sure about tracing JAP engine numbers for this model, for dating purposes.

vhgmcbuddy

I like the idea of re-using the head gasket. Disappointingly a previous owner has “attacked” the lower ring gasket with a screwdriver, I guess trying to release the gasket, but all he has done is nearly totally knacker the edge of it. I am hoping to refit the ring gasket with the aid of the blue silicone sealer. It is fascinately to understand how the machine has been maintained over its 75 year life – different sized bolts and nuts. I now know it is a British Junior engine. It seems very similar to the JAP engine.
    Regards Mike G
    PS Meetens could not help with a replacement head gaskets, but they gave me excellent advice as to how to progress with my project.
    PPS We live in the middle of France, so trying to get imperial stuff is a bit of a challenge.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.