Howard Gem

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Please help!

Hi, I just got a Gem with a Hatz on it. Very nice machine. In generally I just love old rotavators and garden machinery.
    So it had a problem finding 1 and 2 gear. I pulled the gear box side off and discovered the gear lever going into the gear box was jumping up and down, so the “metal block” in between 1 and 2 gear was going up on top of the teeth on the gears. I took it apart and just added some washers so it works.
    …but as I was looking at 1 and 2 gear sliding from side to side when shifting gears I saw, that the gears did not go all the way into the big gear wheel. The teeth of 1 and 2 gear only went in half the way. As I looked further I saw some markings on the shaft, so maybe it was slammed into gear at some time and made a marking on the shaft, hindering it to slide all the way in gear or maybe the machine was just made that way?

If you take off the small lid on top of the gear box and look in with a flash light, you can see if the gears are going fully in or just the half way in.

Can someone please tell me if it is designed that way or if I can repair the shaft / looking for a new gear box. 🙂

Thanks a lot

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.