howard 700

Home Forums General Help and information howard 700

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    moggyjim
    Participant

In a pickle and need a clutch cable for a howard 700 or info on who can make one up.Also has anyone tried a jockey wheel clutch on a howard 350 as i have a project with none fitted??

hortiman
    Participant

Hi there moggyjim

John Cruse at the Mower centre, Hailsham, East Sussex (01323 842477) has mad 700 clutch cables for me in the past, not sure if he has a pattern, as I have always sent him an old one to copy. If you have not got a pattern, I may still have one here you can borrow, let me know.

I have a Howard 352 with the jockey pulley system, it works very well. I think the guy with the ‘Howard rotavator spares’ website may still market a centrifugal clutch for the 350, I think he used to sell them.

Chris

andyfrost
    Participant

Assuming you have your old one , it shouldn’t present a problem. Many on here speak highly of John Cruse , who will make one to pattern. The original should have a midway grease nipple fitted , if your overly worried about keeping it original , if not , it will be an easier option for whoever you have makes you one.

Andy.

moggyjim
    Participant

Thank’s for the info . I pick up the 700 Wednesday a good runner villiers 2 stroke but no cable. I don’t know until then if i have the remains of the cable.Are accessories like plough still common or hen’s teeth.

vhgmcbuddy

Someone is breaking a 700 on that auction site and they say they have most parts available, but not listed.

moggyjim
    Participant

thank’s for the lead benjamin, he has one got him to list it as a buy it now and someone bought it just before me.never mind the cable looks very like a motor bike front brake cable..

andyfrost
    Participant

Ploughs are not exactly plentiful , but they do turn up from time to time , so just bide your time. The larger ploughing wheels are harder to source , I’m assuming you’ve got these with it.
    The 700 is in my opinion the best machine by miles that Howard produced , if you’ve ever really used a Gem , and then a 700 , you will soon realise.

Andy.

moggyjim
    Participant

scoured the internet and found footage of a chap ploughing with a 700 and it appeared to have trusty wheels fitted. I also found footage of one with lugged bands over the original wheels, so lots of options over the winter..

hortiman
    Participant

Hi Moggyjim.

Do you need me to send you a clutch cable to copy, or I could send it to John Cruse if you prefer.
    I have lugged wheelbands that slip over my rubber tyres, they work a treat! sadly no ploughs now, only the one on my machine.
    If you need big wheels to take 6.00×16 tyres Massey 35 front wheels have the same stud pattern, but you will need 2 axle extensions, these were a standard option.

Chris

moggyjim
    Participant

the 700 is now home and dry.A little on the heavy side. It does have a clutch cable fitted but is a universal one,ok for now.It has a new ignition system fitted so starting easy (relatively). Your wheels do interest me but no rush in hospital next week for yet another cardioversion “look one up on you-tube great fun”. Thank’s for all your help and advice will post some pictures soon..

andyfrost
    Participant

I find my 700 the easiest starting machine I have , it never fails to start first pull(I’ll regret saying that one day) , I have also fitted all new electrics. One other point to look for is wear in the Carb butterfly , they were renowned for this , and will cause bad starting and running.
    Hope all goes well for you in hospital.

Andy.

hortiman
    Participant

Hello again Moggyjim.

I too have had cardioversion, and survived the ordeal!!

My 700 is not so easy to start as it has Hirth D23 diesel engine, but goes like a train when it is running.
    Chris

andyfrost
    Participant

The parts you were after have turned up on that certain auction site , plough,wheel bands, extensions, hitch etc.
    Only trouble is the seller appears to be one of lifes dreamers , judging on his valuation.

Andy.

moggyjim
    Participant

checked out the listing OMG would love the plough but price is right out their..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.