howard 350

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

how can i seal a fuel tank that has had rust in. have cleaned it with vinegar and 1. cups of salt for a week thanks

charlie
    Keymaster

Have a look at Frost Restoration website other tank sealing kits are available.

wristpin
    Participant

I’ve read of mixed results with sealant, particularly since the introduction of ethanol adulterated fuels. I have successfully cleaned very rusted tanks by electrolysis using an ordinary battery charger as a power source.
    Once all the loose rust has been removed either keep the tank full to exclude air or completely empty with a moisture absorbing pouch in it.

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

You can buy a kit off that well known auction site to do this. The product is from America (where they’ve had this crappy petrol for some time) and it’s called SLOSH. I used it on the Norton engine rebuild in the Project section and it comes with a bottle of cleaning agent that you swill around before putting in the sealant.

It goes off to a hard finish like Araldite and seems to be OK so far, just make sure that you roll a piece of card into a tube and put it in the outlet hole so that the threads don’t get too gunjed up with it. If they do just run a tap through to clean it out.

Expect to pay about £30 for a kit. I hope that helps.

wristpin
    Participant

I think that the cleaning agent is important as it aids the bond between the sealant and the tank. Over the years there has been a lot of chat on the Lambretta forum reporting that some of the product on offer has collapsed inside the tank like a deflated balloon!
    Hopefully the current products are better. Personal experience with any product from Frost is that, if used correctly, it usually does what it says it will.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.