How much oil to use on a new foam air filter

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines How much oil to use on a new foam air filter

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I’ve bought a new foam air filter but how much engine oil do I need to use on the foam? I’ve been looking on youtube and some use a teaspoon where others just pours it out of the bottle so its soaking wet then squeezes out the excess.

vhgmcbuddy

I use a tea spoon, drip the oil evenly over over the foam. Then squeeze it to make sure the oil is dispersed in the foam and then remove any excess.

trusty220
    Keymaster

The problem with putting a set amount on the sponge is that you may not get an even coverage. It’s far better to put too much on then squeeze out the excess; a bit messy but you are more likely to reach all the corners. That’s the way Briggs and Stratton used to recommend back in the good old days.
    The oil is there to make the sponge act like fly paper so the dust sticks to it. The oil and dust can be washed out with clean petrol and the sponge re-oiled to extend the engine’s life.

stuart
    Participant

Put the air filter in a clear plastic bag.Pour a small amount of engine oil in bag.Press and squeeze oil into airfilter then squeeze out any excess whilst still in bag.No oily hands and no mess :):)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.