Hayter -JLO

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    alan
    Participant

There was a mention of JLO engines and Hayter on a previous Flymo thread. I’ve looked through my stuff to see what I could find and found some info that’s just nice to share. Please note that I know absolutely nowt about Hayter and quote here what I found in a Hayter report from 1970.

The Hayter report says a new range of Hayterette ‘S’ series mowers with 18″ decks were displayed at the Motspur Park exhibition – as shown in the attached photo. A choice of three engines was available – a domestic version with a single-cylinder 3hp B&S with either recoil or wind-up starter, a professional version for contractors and public authorities with a 4.5hp B&S, and for use on steep slopes a 3hp 3600rpm JLO 2-stroke with a diaphragm carburettor.

I assume the Hayterette JLO version is on the far left in the photo – sorry for the terrible image quality.

Also, a 1973 Gardeners Chronicle article says Hayter had introduced the Osprey with a 2-stroke JLO engine for coping with slopes and short banks. A 1973 reference list details the 24″ Osprey 2/S as having a 6 hp JLO 2-stroke.

Attachments:
    hortiman
    Participant

We had both 2 stroke and 4 stroke Ospreys back in the day. 2 stroke very powerful but also very thirsty, I guess you have to pay for power in one way or another. Flymo also had a good little JLO which proved to be a good machine.

andyfrost
    Participant

Thanks for that Alan , interestingly a chap in the village has a Hayterette with the Suzuki mx120 twostroke engine.

Andy.

davidbliss
    Participant

I suppose going back many years just took it for granted some engines although looked the same but weren’t and a real pain to work on, Aspera made light duty engines without the needle roller big and little end bearings and industrial with, Teles used them on there chainsaws, I had one brought to me that was running a bit under powered and flat as had so many, took the exhaust gauze out and it made a huge difference, as only had a few screws holding the complete exhaust on took it off to look at the exhaust ports, they looked like never been run, turning the engine over to look at the piston that again looked new, just noticed bottom of piston skirt went above bottom of the exhaust ports so was sucking back in exhaust gasses, well have a idea fitted barrel and piston off a scrapper Fly-mow,as had a wight coloured barrel on a blue saw but where did the odd ball piston a barrel come off or balls up of manufacture, the bit interesting was the scrapper piston skirt was longer and shaped to cover the exhaust ports. It didn’t sound much different but seemed to have twice the torque. The JLO engines were just longer lived often neglected but kept going.

alan
    Participant

I’ve had a look through some Hayter brochures and info over Easter, they did make quite a lot of different machines!

I did find the Hayterette from the 1990s, in dark green paintwork, with a 2-stroke Suzuki M120X engine.

Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.