flood

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I want to express that my thoughts are with people from Devon and Somerset who are suffering because the water.
    I hope that this will not last longer now

AM

andyfrost
    Participant

Absolutely , I managed to shear off a couple of bolts on a machine today……..miniscule in the grand scheme of things , our thoughts should be for those really suffering.

Andy.

stevewoollas
    Participant

I agree. My parents still talk about the impact of the East Coast Floods of 1953 as if it was a recent event. I don’t think we can really imagine the effects of being flooded out unless we personally experience such a catastrophic events.

charlie
    Keymaster

I am lucky to be in a dry part of Somerset but have some involvement with what is going on as I am a volunteer with Wessex 4×4 Response Association and one of their duty controllers. Last Tuesday I drove to Muchelney to recce the route. Our drivers have been providing a shuttle service getting people in and out of the village. Water has now risen again and route is impassable to normal vehicles. There are two BV206 tracked vehicles operating over that route now.
    It really hit home last night when I was woken at 01:45 as we had received an urgent call to assist with the evacuation at Moorland, and other assistance over the day. Watching the local news on BBC gives some idea of what it is like.
    I think we are going to be there for some days yet. It is great to know I can do a bit to help in some way as are our many drivers.

vhgmcbuddy

We have moaned about the affect of the rain on the clay ground around us in Devon, but after the floods and damage in other areas our soft ground isn’t worth a mention. Our thoughts are with those affected.

pete0250
    Participant

Our thoughts are also with all those who suffer.The devastating effect of angry water has got to be seen to be believed.I was not alive in the ’47 floods in the fens, but can just remember the ’53 inundation. We live on the edge of the fens so lots of surface water is not unusual to us. However we don’t have the steep hillsides that they do in the West Country that makes things so much worse. Those who suffer are in our thoughts.

joegrgraham
    Participant

Ditto with thoughts for those affected. Also, huge respect for Charlie and all of the others who are volunteering their time and equipment to go into the affected areas to help.
    Saw a piece in the paper yesterday about farmers trying to move their stock, they have had offers from as far away as Scotland and Cambridgeshire to take stock and donate bales of straw and hay. Makes you realise that there are still a lot of good people in this country.

hdtrust
    Participant

To put things down here in prospective,my land is within the delta of the River Parrett,I too have livestock, (3 veteran ponies) 2/3 is under water,Friday and Saturday the road was waste deep flowing fast to get to them!
    My pump requires a new part which should get to us hopefully tomorrow,via Parcel Force,but we have been told by the idiots in charge,if no one can sign for it,they will not leave it,So does this mean a day sitting on fences, while keeping the ponies heads above water!
    All I ask is this,who are the biggest bunch of cretins, Parcel Force or the Environment Agency!
    One last thought to the dense reporters of the BBC,if all the land that we have and our neighbors is flooded, what is the point in moving livestock!

Andrew Hall

charlie
    Keymaster

Andrew, I think you will find livestock is getting moved right out of the flood area. RSPCA and Animal Welfare charities are involved. I understand the way in to the help desk/incident room is via police on 101.
    The answer to your other question is the EA.

vhgmcbuddy

I have been down to help with the flooding victims at Burrow bridge on the levels & it is quite a site to see , Actually quite tragic .
    Lots of animals have drowned

hdtrust
    Participant

Hi Charlie and everyone,
    I hear what you are saying Charlie,but I’ve just returned with frozen hands after manning our only pump!Unfortunately we fall just 2 miles from Thorney,our problem is when the road floods, it fills our field but when the height drops the field is still flooded,but a further problem is, the levels can only be pumped out, when the tide drops in the channel,that means, that we actually become tidal because of the effect of the rainfall coming off the surrounding land.
    Just to add to the misery Somerset Highways have closed one of our main roots in there, to do essential drainage work!They’ve completed the work but as usual forgot to remove the barriers.
    We tend to be a resultant lot down here,but we’re finding life’s a little to hard at the moment,not only keeping the ponies but also my business side is suffering,I’m well behind in orchard pruning and that’s if I can actually get to site.
    The rain is due again in the morning, so all I can say is thank that electronic god on the internet and my best mate Mr Wallingfield

charlie
    Keymaster

Our 4×4 Response vehicles have had to pullout of the taxi service at Thorney as the water is now too deep for normal 4×4 vehicles. We are now into our 3rd week of deployment and no sign of it ending.

hdtrust
    Participant

We managed to get to the field today via an old David Brown Sellectomatic,As I am here the storm is raging yet again!I reckon Charlie if I get the wind surf out,I should be passing you in 10 minutes past your house!
    The hay got ruined yesterday for the ponies, so need to go hunting for more tomorrow,its just never ending!
    The only thing left to do is pull out the comfort food and drown it with some of the best wine from our own cellars and of course with some good strong cheddar cheese.
    Then pick more of the bits up tomorrow
    Regards to all.
    Andrew

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.